Sigma Lens Broke! What to do???

I wish I was able to afford the Nikon lens...but getting married and then preparing to move to another state does a number one my photography budget... I'll be getting ahold of sigma tomorrow.. Wish me luck!

I wish you luck, but man......I can see them accusing you of dropping that thing. I am trying to get my head around it myself, not calling you a liar by any means; but you sure someone in the house didn't move your bag and drop it or something? If that truely "just happened", that sucks. Hopefully they won't give you any flack over fixing it. Please report back and let us know the outcome.

Oddly enough, if you search the Internet for 'sigma 70-200 fell apart' you'll see quite a number of hits.

FWIW, I can't dog on Sigma because I've had nothing but great results with my 18-250. Let's hope they cover it under warranty and never happens again. :)

Last edited:
Really?!?! I didn't do a search, I should have. Man, that sucks hairy nuts.

I wish you luck, but man......I can see them accusing you of dropping that thing. I am trying to get my head around it myself, not calling you a liar by any means; but you sure someone in the house didn't move your bag and drop it or something? If that truely "just happened", that sucks. Hopefully they won't give you any flack over fixing it. Please report back and let us know the outcome.

This is why I'm nervous about it so much. If I didn't know what happened and just looked at the lens I would have thought someone dropped it down a flight of stairs. To my knowledge no one touched or moved my bag. I did however just have my bag at my parents house the night before and that was the last time I was in it.

I did get ahold of Sigma yesterday.. Not really much help. They weren't interested in answering any of my questions. They just want me to send the lens into them and they will get back to me. So to me... I'm pretty much screwed... On the plus side I forgot I added my camera equipment to my insurance policy before my honeymoon. But I still feel this is a problem Sigma should address.. I'll report back when they contact me..

I'm putting a nickel on Sigma honoring the warranty.

Wow...that really stinks. Any news yet from Sigma?

I bought that same lens and returned it in about 2 weeks in favor of the Nikon 80-200. The Sigma was causing my D90 to freeze.

nope...still waiting to here back from sigma... I'm debating selling the lens once its returned to me..

How to you like that 80-200?

I have had a Nikon 70-200 VR that I bought brand new in 2003, the week it came out. It has been used,and used hard over two years shooting on average 500 to 750 frames per assignment, two to three times per week, for two solid years, plus loads of personal abuse. It cost $1699 brand new with a 5-year warranty. It has probably exposed 100,000 frames for me. It has lived through three different Nikon mount bodies...

My Nikon 70-200 VR gave up the ghost after 12 months of light duty. The aperture blades stuck open. It can't have 1,000 frames on it, total.

I returned it to Nikon service (shipping and insurance I had to pay for) and they covered it under warranty, it was away for a couple of weeks. Not what one likes to see in a $1700 piece of kit. I was shooting the Blue Angels at an airshow - and having the lens conk out didn't make for a pleasant day. Unfortunately I didn't have a backup 70-200 in my bag :lol:.

There's a thread on it on FlickR

Flickr: Discussing Overexposure. Why? (SOLVED! See end post). in Nikon D300 Users

It's a very nice lens, but even Nikon slips once 'n a while.

I think Sigma will cover the repair under warranty for the O.P.

nope...still waiting to here back from sigma... I'm debating selling the lens once its returned to me..

How to you like that 80-200?

Absolutely love it. It barely leaves the camera body. I would like to have the Nikon 70-200 VR or VRII someday, but they are significantly more expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back