Sigma lens question

lagiant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Sigma 50-500mm for Nikon or the Sigma 2x TeleConverter APO EX f/Nikon AF? I am thinking of getting them, but have not heard any reviews on them yet. Thanks.

I have the 2x and it works good, I have a few sigma lenses, but if I had it to do over I would get all Nikon glass. They cost more but are worth the $$. If you have a 35mm sigma is a great choice but if you have a DSLR then skip the sigma and go for the nikon. just my 2 cents....

I can't imagine that any 50-500mm lense would be that great good as that is a huge range. But I haven't heard anything about this lense, so i suppose i could be wrong.

I presume you mean a 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX RF HSM? Here's a very biassed review which seems to like it.

There are plenty of other reviews of this lens link

It's "good value". Read into that what you will! It is definately a dark lens - you're going to struggle to hand hold at the big end of the length unless it's very bright.

If your budget permits, try and get Nikkor as they tend to be superior in quality. If it doesn't, try and buy separate lenses with closer ranges of zoom.

As Brett mentions, 50-500 is probably not going to be a great lens as it is trying to do too much.

A 28-70mm and a 70-200mm would give you a lot more light for (probably) a marginally larger investment. Or, if you really want to shoot longer tele-photo, perhaps think about a standard 50mm f1.8 along with a long lens for (hopefully) similar money.

Good luck!

Rob

I'm using the Sigma 50-500mm on my Nikon D70 and I'd highly recommend it.

Most reactions

Back