What's new

Sigma Service Failed!! 150-500 HSM OS

benhasajeep52 50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
598
Wife picked up the lens today from UPS. Sigma shipped the lens back and they corrected the focus hunting problem. But now it focuses extremely slowly. One to two seconds for close focus changes. Longer for big changes. :grumpy: Not talking the difference between HSM and body driven focus. Talking turtle and the hare difference. It has to go back!!! :grumpy::grumpy:

I sent it to the NY repair center. Wondering if I shoudl send it to CT??
 
I would get rid of the STIGMA and get a good lens
 
Why am I not surprised by this tale of woe? Answer? Cause it involves Sigma, bro.
 
*cough cough* soft copies of canon 100-400mm *cough cough*
 
Aye I really need to hang out around one of those nikon places to pick up the name of some of their regular failing options ;)

I wonder, even though the lens is repaired under warranty, with the failed repair can you get some form of discount from the repair centre (eg you failed to fix it you pay shipping/postage). Might be something that you have to speak to a "supervisor" about if the regular person answering the phone/email is unable/unwilling to make the choice (since so often these people are not in decision making positions and can only act out of company policy alone)
 
Sop by the Lensrentals.com web site to hear their many tales of Sigma malfunctions.

SIGnificant MAlfunction. Heard that one before? I've been shooting photos since the 1970's...Sigma's reputation on build quality has been substandard ever since then. I own a few of their products, and only one lens performs as I would expect it to. Most are EX-series lenses in the $899 price range too...not low-end Sigma's, except for The Flaremeister, the 18-125 Sigma DC.
 
Keep in mind that the AF may not be fast because of the small-ish maximum aperture, and the fact that it's a Sigma.
 
Keep in mind that the AF may not be fast because of the small-ish maximum aperture, and the fact that it's a Sigma.

It is noticeably slower than before it went in. Not even close to focusing at a rate it should be. And yes we tried on 2 different bodies. I emailed their service last night. Have not heard anything. Probably not till next week I suppose.
 
Aye I really need to hang out around one of those nikon places to pick up the name of some of their regular failing options ;)

I wonder, even though the lens is repaired under warranty, with the failed repair can you get some form of discount from the repair centre (eg you failed to fix it you pay shipping/postage). Might be something that you have to speak to a "supervisor" about if the regular person answering the phone/email is unable/unwilling to make the choice (since so often these people are not in decision making positions and can only act out of company policy alone)

I didn't think it was fair I had to pay shipping the first time. Since it was basically bad from stock (50 min of use). I will definately be making some noise about them sending a shipping label for the return to them! It should not have left their shop as slow as it is. It's quite obvious, especially to a technician that it wasn't up to speed.

I will give them 1 more chance but not hedging any bets on it. Send it back to them and see what the 2nd repair accomplishes.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom