Silhouette CC please

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is my very first attempt at shooting a silhouette. I'm not too happy with it but its OK for my first try.

I ended up cropping the bottom of the photo because of a building that was behind him - so there was no definition in his legs. I hate that you can see some branches in the photo with him! I did move around and this was the best I could do in the area I was in. This was taken in an industrial park (just a huge area full of factories) in a yard off to the side of a chocolate factory. This was the only angle that worked.

My SOOC - has glowing edges around the legs and a little around the head. Is that normal? I saw a few other silhouettes on another forum that had the glow/brightness around the figure.

1/3200 ISO 160 f/7.1

Thanks for looking!

I like it but I think the silhouette is underexposed a bit. Almost too "silhouetty" as if you cut out the shape of the person in the image. The edges of the person are really sharp -- almost too sharp. Does this make any sense? I'm struggling with my words.

I like it a lot especially where the sun is on him, the only thing I don't like is that I don't know what he's doing. If he were shooting a basketball or something this would've rocked... Pretty dang good for a first try.

Ahh the thinking man!

Yes that glow you mentioned is the result of having your subject between you and the sun. There's a slight escape of light enough to show an illuminated perimeter =). You can easily use this technique as hair light.

I like it. The trees didn't bother me til I read your post....lol And yep...now they bother me. Just edit them out. Nice shot.

I like it but I think the silhouette is underexposed a bit. Almost too "silhouetty" as if you cut out the shape of the person in the image. The edges of the person are really sharp -- almost too sharp. Does this make any sense? I'm struggling with my words.

I might have just oversharpened it too much! Not sure...

I'm a relative noob, so take my comments for what they are worth. I read someplace (I think Bryan Peterson or Ken Rockwell) that suggests a "proper" silhouette should leave a small part of the silhouette exposed so some details can be ascertained. I like this shot though.

That's actually the reason I love it!

Nice job MTVision!

(SIDE NOTE: I was going to abbreviate your SN... but I ended up only typing out MTV... and then I said, "naaaah..." :lol: )

Looks pretty cool I think. I like how the is no definition to the subject. It reminds me of doing the silhouettes in grade school art class. WOW that was a long time ago. Keep em coming and you just gave me an idea for one I would like to try. Thanks MTVision.

e.rose said:
Just curious... what does the original look like?

Do I have too? LOL! I'll post it but then you will know that my photography skills aren't up to par!!! ;)

Hold on - gotta get to my computer.

So - this isn't SOOC but it is straight out of RAW without any changes made by me.

You can obviously tell I cheated now - I added the color to the sky and cropped it to get rid of the bottom and to change the composition.

e.rose said:

Do I have too? LOL! I'll post it but then you will know that my photography skills aren't up to par!!! ;)

:lol:

I added the color to the sky

That's what I wanted to see, haha. I couldn't believe how awesome and orange the sky was!

I don't care if you cheated, I like the image anyway! :lol:

e.rose said:

That's what I wanted to see, haha. I couldn't believe how awesome and orange the sky was!

I did edit it with the blue sky as well and it looked OK - but I really liked how it looked with the orange sky. I could've waited to try it again but - forecasters are saying its suppose to snow tomorrow so I took the chance when I had it.

Glad you like it!

I did edit it with the blue sky as well and it looked OK - but I really liked how it looked with the orange sky. I could've waited to try it again but - forecasters are saying its suppose to snow tomorrow so I took the chance when I had it.

Glad you like it!

Did you just change it with Hue/Saturation?

Most reactions

Back