Sister on the trampoline

james21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this was for my photography class and our assignment was using different shutter speeds and stuff so thats why her hair is like that. dont mind the dust...i need to get back in the darkroom and reprint it, but any comments/critiques are appreciated!

File0111.jpg

I think I would like to see it have a bit more contrast. I'm having a hard time determining if I like the composition because it doesn't all fit on my screen.

This might have worked a bit better with some more context. So you would not need to explain how this came about, but we would see.
Her expression is well-captured.
I cannot but agree to Pete's remark about the background.

It does look slightly soft, but I think it might be the effect of scanning it.

Add more contrast as the others have said. Also, try to find some detail in the front of the vest, if there is anything on the negative, because adding more contrast is going to wash it out even more, so you'll need to burn a bit more detail in.

Maybe you could crop a little tighter on the girls expression? Just keep enough hair to show it flying wildly and get rid of some of that distracting background.

Lastly, make sure you develop it so the face is exposed correctly. Dodge and burn anything else to make it right. If that becomes too much of a nightmare, take the photograph again...

Having said all that, I didn't get that fiddly until my final exam work. Just add a little contrast and see what the teacher says - the rest is just what I personally would have done with it, if I was being REALLY critical.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back