SITE CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH

The spam seems to have been lessened a little bit, no?

The spam seems to have been lessened a little bit, no?

We're still getting a lot of the Chinese fake diploma spam. It generally hits in the middle of the night US Eastern time. I often go into the Spam Trashcan to remove the deleted threads from public view - otherwise, the moderators would see pages of deleted spam messages in the main "What's New" feed and real threads get buried.

I see reports of the Chinese spam almost every morning. Sometimes it's two spammers in one night. In the past week, maybe it's been every other day, but we're still getting a lot.

Yes, there seems to be fewer Chinese posts getting through though I may not be seeing all of it. The stuff going into the approval queue looks to be about the same, but those are trapped, so not as obvious to the general population.

Thank you for doing what you do.

I think those might be older accounts... the new CAPTCHA seems to have slowed down new accounts. We should keep track of the registration date of the spammers and see if it's slowed down since the CAPTCHA change.

What is the CAPTCHA upgrade date?

I think those might be older accounts... the new CAPTCHA seems to have slowed down new accounts. We should keep track of the registration date of the spammers and see if it's slowed down since the CAPTCHA change.

The latest Chinese spammer registered on Saturday Nov 26 and posted at about 3AM this morning. It was reported a few minutes later and deleted by a moderator.

The new CAPTCHA has been installed. Let's see if it makes a difference.

DDOS= Distributed Denial Of Service.

Basically software that’s distributed across tens of thousands of pc’s and try to open the same web site at the same time in order to overwhelm the site thus effectively shutting the site down.

I just installed an additional antispam utility as well, let's see if that helps slow it down.

I just installed an additional antispam utility as well, let's see if that helps slow it down.
Been looking good for several days now - kudos!

Definitely helping with the Chinese spam! Except now I double jinxed it so let me go knock on wood now ;)
Not wood - knock plastic. The gnomes and sprites that control the fate f the world have long ago left wood groves for vats of polymer plastic.

Most reactions

Back