What's new

Site to Buy Lenses?

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
327
Reaction score
59
Location
Vermont
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reference thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-equipment-products/254537-decent-wide-angle-d3100.html

Ok, so I started a thread awhile ago asking about a decent wide angle for the D3100. Fall is coming fast and I want this in hand before it's too late. This thread is really asking, where can I actually purchase one of these. I want a site thats dependable, not something thats going to show up smashed. When I'm talking about spending ~$1000 amazon and Ebay don't really come to mind (unless someone knows a really good seller). Where do you get your products?

In other news. I've narrowed it down to 2, well 3. The Sigma lense I really only want because it has the ability to do 8mm, but you can't add filters to it so that's not really good. I'm leaning towards the 12-24 even though it costs more. If anyone else has input on why I should pick a different one, please let me know :P

If for any reason anyone thinks that these would not fit on a D3100 could someone let me know. I'm clueless on tech specs for the most part.

Amazon.com: Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Wide-Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM FLD AF Ultra Wide Zoom Lens for APS-C sized Canon Digital DSLR Camera: Electronics
 
Have you looked at the tokina 11-16? It's considered the best wide angle DX lens on the market by many, i used one for about an hour as a test and was very happy with the results.
 
Have you looked at the tokina 11-16? It's considered the best wide angle DX lens on the market by many, i used one for about an hour as a test and was very happy with the results.

It has been mentioned in the past but I never really looked into it. The price is there though.

I noticed none of these have image Stabalization, I guess its not really needed with a wide angle though.

Edit: After looking at this tokina, based on what it gives and price, it does seem like the best option. The only downfall that I see is that fact that it doesn't go to 24mm. The apeture (if I am looking at this right) actually seems better than both of the nikons. Is that true?
 
Last edited:
These might help confuse/reinforce your choices:

Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DC (vs Sigma 12-24 on FF)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review

As for a reliable website to purchase from:
B&H, Adorama and Amazon are three of the top choices (check on amazon, they allow 3rd party retailers and it seems the US amazon can be a little risky sometimes in this regard - just take a moment to check the seller feedback if its not amazon and if its a good few 1000s purchases with a very near 100% score then they are pretty safe.
 
I've always used B&H without problem, quite happy with them. I bought my tripod from Adorama, and ended up having to deal with their customer service. I was truly amazed at how rude and snippy they were, as if they couldn't be bother to spend time on my issue... so that is the last time I'll be shopping at Adorama. I was really surprised because they come highly recommended from quite a few people, and generally have a very good reputation. No reason to put up with that sort of attitude from people taking your money, especially with so many other options available.
 
I've always used B&H without problem, quite happy with them. I bought my tripod from Adorama, and ended up having to deal with their customer service. I was truly amazed at how rude and snippy they were, as if they couldn't be bother to spend time on my issue... so that is the last time I'll be shopping at Adorama. I was really surprised because they come highly recommended from quite a few people, and generally have a very good reputation. No reason to put up with that sort of attitude from people taking your money, especially with so many other options available.

Happy late B-day!!
Sorry for the derail.....:greenpbl:
 
Analog - I'm surprised to hear of your problems with Adorama since they normally come side by side with B&H for recommendations. Both also take their web-reputation seriously and have customer service reps who you can contact for some direct support. I've honestly forgotten the Adorama chap's name, but if you've problems with Adorama and customer service can't help/won't help/gives problems then give Helen Oster an email and she should be able to sort things out
 
Analog - I'm surprised to hear of your problems with Adorama since they normally come side by side with B&H for recommendations. Both also take their web-reputation seriously and have customer service reps who you can contact for some direct support. I've honestly forgotten the Adorama chap's name, but if you've problems with Adorama and customer service can't help/won't help/gives problems then give Helen Oster an email and she should be able to sort things out

I was surprised as well because they do have a great reputation... I assumed it was an isolated incident but it's still worth mentioning. It's all been resolved now, I think I ended up getting shuffled around the department, and it all worked out after a few exchanges. Maybe the first rep was having a bad week :-/

Thanks for the contact though :thumbup:
 
****.....I thought I saw that it was your Birthday the other day.....lol I guess not......LOL continue on w/ your lens talk!! I'll go drink more....:lmao:
 
Darn drunk spammers :gun:

:mrgreen:
 
These might help confuse/reinforce your choices:

Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DC (vs Sigma 12-24 on FF)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review

As for a reliable website to purchase from:
B&H, Adorama and Amazon are three of the top choices (check on amazon, they allow 3rd party retailers and it seems the US amazon can be a little risky sometimes in this regard - just take a moment to check the seller feedback if its not amazon and if its a good few 1000s purchases with a very near 100% score then they are pretty safe.

Argh! Now you have me leaning towards Sigma again. I wish they compared it against a Nikon rather than the Canon. The no lense cap is killing me though. I keep all my stuff in a photography backpack which I usually gently toss on the ground while shooting. If i were to toss that just right, bam $700 bucks down the drain. I'm also kind of absent minded when I am actually shooting. A few weeks ago shooting some falls my Nikon 55-300 flipped out of my bag onto a slanted rock and started rolling. Luckily i caught it with my foot. Had that been a Sigma with no cap, it probably would have been a complete loss.

So knowing I can be clumsy is it worth spending half the cash on a lense I will end up buying twice anyway, or spend a little under double to get something I know is better protected :\
 
****.....I thought I saw that it was your Birthday the other day.....lol I guess not......LOL continue on w/ your lens talk!! I'll go drink more....:lmao:

Ahh, it was just the other day, like 3 months ago. : )

To the OP, I have the Tokina, and aside from a little CA it's awesome. I was considering the Sigma 8-16 as well, and its actually a little bit sharper than the Tokina is, but the fact that it doesn't take filters was the deal breaker for me. 8mm is wiiiiide though, it's a cool lens.
 
Mishele's off the wagon and knocking my thread over lol!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom