What's new

Site to Buy Lenses?

The Sigma has lens cap, its just much bigger than just a cap and is more a "hood" attachment, which is made of two parts, one ring and one the cap itself. So you can just pop the lenscap off and shoot, but only at 16mm, the rest of the time you need to take hood and cap off at the same time - and put them both back on as a single unit.
 
ahhhh! Maybe I should be slapped for thinking it didn't have a cap at all. I found a pic online and it looks like you have to attach some ring since the glass sticks out. No filter, ehhh not the end of the world. No cap, no way. Now based on price, and the fact that it rocks 8mm I'm pretty sure I'll pick up this Sigma.

I really want wide angle for the more "artistic" shots, once I figure out how to actually pull those off lol, and I think the 8mm would make for some pretty interesting ones.
 
The other good thing about the 8-16mm is that its distortions at the 10mm point are less than most of the other 10-20 and 10-22mm options so its a great gain even if you don't always use the full 8mm end. I've also read that Lee Filters is starting to make filters and holders for these ultra wide lenses - thus far the 12-24mm from nikon has an adaptor mount, nothing yet for the sigma but there is hop
 
Have you looked at the tokina 11-16? It's considered the best wide angle DX lens on the market by many, i used one for about an hour as a test and was very happy with the results.

dblthumb2.gif
 
Also, try finding a camera store near you. Buy and support local small businesses if you can, even if it means you pay a little more. It's worth it every time for the relationship and customer service you receive
 
When I'm talking about spending ~$1000 amazon and Ebay don't really come to mind (unless someone knows a really good seller). Where do you get your products?
As long as Amazon is the seller, or does the order fulfillment, Amazon is a safe place to buy. On eBay, you have to consider the sellers reputation. Many reputable stores have an eBay presence. Cameta Camera is one of those that springs to mind.

I buy mostly used gear, and am comfortable buying online because I pay using Paypal, which gives me a large measure of protection.

I have bought online from private sellers, and from the
 
I dont understand why people are afraid of ebay, just about every ebay seller offers a return policy, and there's third party protection on every sale (nobody else has that). Quality glass will last forever, buying new is foolish.
 
Well ordered the 8-16 from amazon. Called 6 shops in the state this morning and nobody had one. The local shop didn't even have a Sigma connection to get them, o well.
 
Came into today, yay! I'm working so I can't really go mess with it much but I did notice that a straight line on the edge of the viewfinder starts to warp a little at about 12 MM. 12-16 it seems to line up perfectly. This one is going to be fun :D
 
Congrats!

Post some pics! (I don't care if you're at work :greenpbl:)
 
Tomorrow :P I'll go take a walk with it
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom