Skate and Snow Shots

MBudny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, this is my first post, just trying to get some opinions on my work and network with some people. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks. Here's one of my favorite skate shots taken over the summer taken in Torrington, Ct. and a shot from killington ealier this season.
$killi_blunt_lores (1 of 1).jpg
$harry_fstail_torrington (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
I love the shot and the tones, but the skater is lost in the photo.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USaully for action sport shots you want to be tighter to your subject

I disagree. Shooting with a fisheye and getting close to the skater/snowboarder has its place- for certain, but I really prefer taking a step back and getting some of the scene in the photo. Others may disagree but I would guess they also don't skate or snowboard. A GOOD skate or snowboarding photo, one that will really appeal to somebody who skates or rides, might not appeal to somebody strictly into photography.

I do think the skater does get lost a bit in this photo though. I would've gotten a little lower, and more to the left when taking this...and maybe zoomed in a little more or cropped it in post. Looks like a dope spot though and has some serious potential

You asked for CC but you don't want to take it?

Good Luck then since you already know everything about skaters and actions shots!

I didn't ask for CC. The OP did and I responded disagreeing with your opinion

Thanks man, i definitely agree with pulling it back and showing the whole feature, i added a snowboarding shot as well

I like the lower photo looks to have a hint of HDR nice touch..

Interesting pattern of the stairs and the shadows against the brick, which I rather like but it seems to make the skateboarder not stand out... Just looked again and part of what might be detracting from the skater is having things like a dark triangle of shadow in the lower right, part of an AC unit, I find things partway cut off or just the edge of something like the shadow in the picture to be distracting - maybe try some copies and some cropping?? I try to think about if I want something in the photo, is it adding to it or not? if not then I want it out of there! lol

The first one almost makes the subject seem like he's in miniature, interesting effect with the subject lighted and the scene being so foggy/misty. That one too I might think about the balance and if I wanted to crop the left side some so the figure isn't quite so far to the right in the frame. You seem to be seeing some creative shots.

The first shot is great because you've zoomed out far enough to set the scene, but by using an off camera flash you've separated the boarder from the background and the rest of the box. I'd get a little more to the right to show off the logo on the box, the resort would probably buy that shot for advertising!

Hey, this is my first post, just trying to get some opinions on my work and network with some people. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks. Here's one of my favorite skate shots taken over the summer taken in Torrington, Ct. and a shot from killington ealier this season.
View attachment 63897
View attachment 63874
I think the first one has potential, great use of the light, it's just to wide (IMO). If you allow me to edit/crop it I'll upload my version.

If you have a Speedlight(s) I could see the location of your second shot being killer. Slightly underexpose the background and use fill light on the skater to make him stand out more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back