Sky Enhancment

pulse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
I really like this photo but i cant seem to get the sky looking great. Is there anyway of making JUST the sky alittle darker/deeper blue. its colour i just pathetic compared to that of the water.
Any tips, tricks, comments?
10336466tq4.jpg

Well, i just signed up to so im not to sure. I seen a video on youtube and they were talking about this particular issue. The cure was using a polarizing filter. I think im going to be looking into one of these as well. I have sun glasses that are polarized and i can notice a color difference when i put them on and take them off. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject as well

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
I really like this photo but i cant seem to get the sky looking great. Is there anyway of making JUST the sky alittle darker/deeper blue. its colour i just pathetic compared to that of the water.
Any tips, tricks, comments?
10336466tq4.jpg

10336466tq4copy.jpg

It doesnt even look real...but whatever.

You mean this picture or for future photos? For future photos a circular polarizer will help quite a bit. Dont buy a cheap one because, you get what you pay for. For this photo you isolate the sky and, try adjusting the levels first. I use Photoshop/CS but Im guessing you can do it in other programs as well.

The edit attempt by toofpaste only emphasized the fact that you have some dust spots.

Reread Joves suggestions.

well if you have photoshop this is what i usually do for skies.

I would create a new layer on top of the background, and fill it with a gradient going from black to white starting with black on top and white at the bottom. I would then make this layer a mask(or not) and change the blend mode to something like overlay, softlight, hardlight, etc... to get the desired effect. If you made the layer a mask you could just paint in black in areas that need to be darkened still or paint in white on like the trees or grass to remove the darkness.

2 cents :D

pulse... I think the shot looks quite good as it is. The blue is very pretty and, more importantly, quite natural. I assume what brianne did (nice edit, btw) was to select the blue channel in the hue/saturation pallete, and boost it a bit... I'm guessing no more than 15 points or so) I don't think this is a bad idea and I'll frequently do it myself, but you have to be wary... you don't want to wind up doing what, well frankly... you don't want to wind up doing what toofpaste did. :lol:

Also, +1 to what Joves said about polarizing filters.

Oh, yes, and as some others have said... you got dust on that sensor. Fix it! :)

toofpaste- I love ya, man, but I'm going to have to take you out back and beat your about the head and neck with a Photoshop Essentials book. I hereby revoke your license to Photoshop. Please pull over to the curb. :lol: I hope you understand I'm joking but, in all seriousness, you should try to have a softer hand in photoshop ... a lot of your corrected images go way too far and wind up looking kinda bizarre.

With that central composition, the empty sky works brilliantly; the tone is nice, and there's nothing to steal your attention from the ground, though it adds some awe and scale to the scene. I don't believe the sky needs adjusting.

Thanks for all the responces, especially the edits (great job breanne!). I see what you guys mean about the natural look. after thinking about it sky is probly good the way it is, i just wanted to try something more drastic...but did not know how to create it. i guess im just gunna need to practice more on my post processing.

Ill have to look into buying a circular polarizing filter as it sounds like a really nice tool to have. And about the dust on my sensor...lol so much for the SSWF dust removal mechanism. To remove this i will need to get a cleaning kit with a blower tool thingy??

well, if there are no clouds in the sky, there are no clouds... technique does not help then... except the come-back-another-day-and-reshoot technique ;)

But I agree with the others that a cloudless sky does serve this image well.

Now thats what im talking about :thumbup:
awesome job :hail:

pulse-r.jpg

Pulse R​

:D

OMG that is so wrong... :lol:

OP on the dust... read your manual on cleaning dust from the sensor and please be very careful. If you are at all unsure, please look for an authorized service center and have them do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back