Skydiver, C&C please

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My cousin went sky diving for the first time this weekend. I went to capture the event. Lots and lots and lots of snapshots.

This is a guy (i'm working on getting his name so I can send him a couple shots) who was walking back to the building after landing. If you look close you can see the mouth trigger over his right eye connected to his SLR.

Anyway, I liked the motion in this pic, I think it tells the story pretty well.

Comments are appreciated. Click for exif.

I sense some emotion but there's too much cut off for me on this one.

As in too much chute or legs? Cause I've got more of this photo to the left. And others that have full legs.

Chute for sure, legs are OK I think... I'm just not a fan of cropping limbs even though I know sometimes I just have to.

For me, he's walking back after a jump... key words 'walking' and 'jump', to me the legs and chute are what tell the story.

I may be way off in left field too, it's Monday after all.

I'll see what I can scare up that has more chute and legs when I get home.

Here's another of the same dude. All I did to it was crop out some to the right to make it 8x10. He came in too fast for me to zoom out and refocus. I still like it, although I should have led him more and zoomed out to about 200mm. Live an learn.

3824437907_26e7b2a3ec_b.jpg

Framing is a bit tight and would of liked to see more of the chute or none at all.

Not usually the type of picture I'd associate with sky diving. He doesn't seem like he is actually doing anything, so that does add to the pensive nature of the image.

I find the orange shoot to be the focal point, as its bold colour draws my eye. Would a B/W work?

Something is really kind of strange about the bokeh in the first pic. The trees in the background have a very odd and distracting texture. It's the first thing I noticed.

I think the framing is good though.

By the way, EXIF is blocked for me.

i'm so not the person for extreme sports but i love the first shot.
really well taken.

Nor am I. Thus I'm on the ground. ;)

Although I might try jumping once. Although I'd probably need to lose some weight before doing that.

Nor am I. Thus I'm on the ground. ;)

Although I might try jumping once. Although I'd probably need to lose some weight before doing that.
yah, i like staying on the ground. i feel secure :)

mind you that statement about me not being into extreme sports is an understatement cuz i'm not into sports at all :blushing:

Ok. Chose a different version of the shot to work with. And yes, the bokah on this lens sucks at 6.3.

Here's the original cropped image.

3831497423_9cddc96fd2_o.jpg

Here's a selectively desaturated image, leaving the blue and cyan alone. I actually like this one a lot.

3831496375_c0eea07793_o.jpg

And a fully desaturated image using the luminosity setting in gimp.

3831496795_436b1a86fb_o.jpg

I agree with tharmsen about the trees, but I do like this close up version of the jumper best. My only complaint is that the chute is cut off on the left. I can deal with the legs being cut off because you show the bent knee which indicates he is walking, but the image would really benefit so much more with all the chute.

Most reactions

Back