Skylight Filter Application

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I understand it, these are similar to the regular UV filters, but have a pinky coating?

In what applications are these particularly useful? When is the 'pinky colour' a good thing?

Skin tones? But really, like UV filters, their best use is for scratch protection, nothing more.

You're kidding, right?

Skylight filters reduce the excessive bluishness in shots taken in open shade, a problem with film cameras (white balance adjustments take care of this in digital cameras). UV filters remove ultra-violet rays that cause haziness in photos, a problem with both film and digital cameras. If your objective is scratch protection, buy a clear glass protector.

You're kidding, right?

Reducing excessive blueness is not something I would associate with this filter. Reducing slight blueness also bearly comes close. Really the colour of this filter is below the accuracy tolerances of autowhitebalance and I think it's completely redundant in digital photography.

I use mine for protection of my 50mm lens because the filter is higher quality than the UV filter I have. UV on left, Skylight on right.
DSC_9705.jpg

Thanks for the info Garbz.

I have a genuine Canon skylight so I'm assuming it's decent quality. I would keep it on as a lens protective measure, but I'm worried the pinkish colour will affect the photos.

^So skylight filters are somewhat redundant on digital cameras?

Yes. The skylight film is a manual "white balance" with absolutely no flexibility.

You would if you had ever shot with film.

I have. I shot with film for many years before going digital. Unfortunately not having an abundance of cash I had my film developed at local photo stores and not professional labs. Needless to say that colour calibration inaccuracies in their equipment had a greater affect on the photos than the filter did.

I am not trying to say the filter is useless, otherwise it would not exist anyway. But in the digital world it is pointless at the very least.

GeorgeUK if when you open the photo in lightroom just push the Tint slider to -1 or -2 and the pink is gone again. Or in photoshop open curves and bump the middle of the Green channel up by 1 or 2 points. As I said above these kind of microfine adjustments are probably finer than the white balance setting on your camera anyway.

Most reactions

Back