Slide copying at (almost) zero cost.

Graham Smith 51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Evening, all.
I'm not sure if this is exactly the place for this, so if an administrator wants to move it, fine!

I've just been looking at ways in which I can transfer all my old transparencies to digital files, so that I can (a) keep them for easy viewing and (b) do a bit of improvement on them where necessary.
I found all sorts of ways to do this, ranging from buying a slide scanner, through various DIY arrangements, to having it done for me by a service. I can't afford the kind of scanner that will do the job well - hi-res scanners can be over £100. The services charge £2 or more per slide, and I've got hundreds, so that's out too. The DIY route has lots of ways. One I contemplated was dismantling an old slide projector and using it basically just as a light source, and that seemed laborious, destructive and potentially dangerous if you get anything wrong. So in the end I did what some others have done, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the results.

I made a very simple frame, made from thick card, balsa and plywood, that holds the slides, one at a time, in front of a rectangular cut-out with a piece of diffusing acrylic sheet of the kind used for light boxes. This is the only bit that cost me anything - £2 for a 6" x 4" piece - and I bet a lot of people could find something similar lying around the house anyway. The diffuser is not glued to the frame, just held by a couple of clips. This is so that I can periodically remove it to clean it and get rid of dust, which might otherwise show through. I can do this without actually disturbing the setup once working.
Behind the frame is a flashgun (Olympus T32 in fact) connected to the camera by a wireless trigger. Of course, any suitable flash arrangement can be used. In front is my Nikon D3100 with the 40mm macro lens attached. That stands on a tripod, and once placed correctly to frame the slide and focus on it (manually) I can leave it like that all day. I put a simple angled spotlight shining on the diffuser to illuminate the slide while focussing, then turned it off to take the picture. The only other piece of kit needed is the wired remote shutter release.
I chose ISO 100 and manual control, setting the shutter at 1/60th and the aperture at f8 to start with (the flashgun was set to the same) I knew I could then play around with different apertures as necessary, but in the end I found that this arrangement actually gave me good exposures from the get-go!

This is a simple set-up that has produced really quite good results, and best of all, it was virtually free!

slide copy 1.jpg slide copy 2.jpg slide copy 3.jpg

PS - I also thought of buying the Nikon ES-1 slide copier, but that's a bit pricey too!
PPS - Hey - maybe I could set myself up as a slide copying service now! (Only kidding)

Last edited:
I presume the transparencies are all mounted, and you slide them in the frame and shoot. I am curious as to your results. Is the image quality comparable to scanning? Are any of the slides warped or curved at all? I think some of mine may be slightly bowed in the mount. Have you attempted to enlarge them at all? Are the files "large"? I would like to see one or more examples.

Here's an example of one of the copied slides. It's priceless - my son, aged two with my now-deceased uncle John. Way back in 1982. (File reduced to 60%, but otherwise un-touched.)

Attachments

• Apr 82 - 21small.jpg
    Apr 82 - 21small.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I presume the transparencies are all mounted, and you slide them in the frame and shoot. I am curious as to your results. Is the image quality comparable to scanning? Are any of the slides warped or curved at all? I think some of mine may be slightly bowed in the mount. Have you attempted to enlarge them at all? Are the files "large"? I would like to see one or more examples.

All the slides are mounted in card or plastic frames as received from the processor all those years ago. Yes, they slide into the frame and stop just at the correct position over the aperture. It's not a rapid process, but I'm in no hurry. I haven't found any problems due to warping so far. As for enlarging, well, I've only viewed them at full monitor screen size - I haven't tried printing any yet. As I say, so far I'm happy with the results - OK, they might not be up to professional standard, but as the aim was to preserve family photos in a way that they can easily be viewed and shared, I'm happy.
As for a comparison with scanning, I can't say exactly because I haven't got a scanner so I can't check the quality of that method. I do know they're better than the Epson flatbed scanner method that I tried years ago, at least.
The image files range between 4 and 6 meg. jpegs.

Last edited:
Actually, the only slides that have given me any problems are ones that I originally mounted in glass frames. Those don't fit my setup and anyway they have more dust in them than the plain ones. So I'll have to re-mount them before I can photograph them.

Sell it and recoup most of the money. :)

But I understand if you don't have a hundred dollars, you won't be buying anything.

Sell it and recoup most of the money. :).

Yup. Most, but not all! It hurts to sell for £50 something that's cost me £100.
I know people might say that the photography equipment I've used here has cost a packet, but I already had those things, and they have plenty of other applications as well. And basically I just couldn't justify buying a scanner. This stuff cost almost nothing, and if it hadn't worked I wouldn't have wasted anything. I have read reviews that say that poor results have been obtained from some scanners, anyway.

Sell it and recoup most of the money. :)

But I understand if you don't have a hundred dollars, you won't be buying anything.
I thought you didn't believe in selling used stuff to others?

Evening, all.
I'm not sure if this is exactly the place for this, so if an administrator wants to move it, fine!

I've just been looking at ways in which I can transfer all my old transparencies to digital files, so that I can (a) keep them for easy viewing and (b) do a bit of improvement on them where necessary.
I found all sorts of ways to do this, ranging from buying a slide scanner, through various DIY arrangements, to having it done for me by a service. I can't afford the kind of scanner that will do the job well - hi-res scanners can be over £100. The services charge £2 or more per slide, and I've got hundreds, so that's out too. The DIY route has lots of ways. One I contemplated was dismantling an old slide projector and using it basically just as a light source, and that seemed laborious, destructive and potentially dangerous if you get anything wrong. So in the end I did what some others have done, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the results.

I made a very simple frame, made from thick card, balsa and plywood, that holds the slides, one at a time, in front of a rectangular cut-out with a piece of diffusing acrylic sheet of the kind used for light boxes. This is the only bit that cost me anything - £2 for a 6" x 4" piece - and I bet a lot of people could find something similar lying around the house anyway. The diffuser is not glued to the frame, just held by a couple of clips. This is so that I can periodically remove it to clean it and get rid of dust, which might otherwise show through. I can do this without actually disturbing the setup once working.
Behind the frame is a flashgun (Olympus T32 in fact) connected to the camera by a wireless trigger. Of course, any suitable flash arrangement can be used. In front is my Nikon D3100 with the 40mm macro lens attached. That stands on a tripod, and once placed correctly to frame the slide and focus on it (manually) I can leave it like that all day. I put a simple angled spotlight shining on the diffuser to illuminate the slide while focussing, then turned it off to take the picture. The only other piece of kit needed is the wired remote shutter release.
I chose ISO 100 and manual control, setting the shutter at 1/60th and the aperture at f8 to start with (the flashgun was set to the same) I knew I could then play around with different apertures as necessary, but in the end I found that this arrangement actually gave me good exposures from the get-go!

This is a simple set-up that has produced really quite good results, and best of all, it was virtually free!

View attachment 119935 View attachment 119936 [ATTA]119937[/ATTACH]

PS - I also thought of buying the Nikon ES-1 slide copier, but that's a bit pricey too!
PPS - Hey - maybe I could set myself up as a slide copying service now! (Only kidding)
Nice job with a simple, efficient DIY to copy your slides. Nothing like a little ingenuity to achieve a desired result.:thumbyo:

There's a chance you could buy used and sell for what you paid a few days or a week later.

There's a chance you could buy used and sell for what you paid a few days or a week later.
Again, when did you change you mind on used??? Also what is wrong with the OP's DIY. You are always the proponent of writing your own scripts, building your own stuff??? Little confused here.

[QUOTE="gryphonslair99, post: 3619954, member: 10481" Also what is wrong with the OP's DIY..[/QUOTE]

Is that OP "original poster" or "old person"? I know I'm chronologically enriched...... Or an old fogie, anyway

Most reactions

Back