Slightly Embarassing question...

OK, I've now got a camera with manual settings, so yay. However, I'm afraid to use them and unfortunately (or not) the camera has done really well on auto, so I haven't had a burning desire to use manual settings.

:D You don't have to shooting in manual if the auto is satisfies your need you know. Todays cameras are "inteligent" enough to do the job. Also there is a saying that says: Babies don't eat apples is as true here. The Auto mode take pictures, the manual mode take pictures and every modes there are designed to take pictures - so take pictures then.

My mobile phone take pictures in auto. My coolpix also take pictures in auto. With this so called DSLR, should I use it in auto also? it does not make sense buying for auto shot, don't you think.

Btw your lumix look so cool.

Best thing to do for you is read your books to find out what each setting does and how to achieve all kinds of effects and stuff. Then start playing around. At least you`ll know what are you doing. Later on, after some practice you`ll learn to use the different settings to get a particular resulting shot. That`s what the auto mode does not offer. No auto mode will allow you to blur flowing water for instance. Enjoy the process of learning new stuff!!! It will expand your creativity.

LOL, i pulled out my grandfathers old cameras and had no idea that thing could take photos :).

A poloroid that looked like a box with springs that came out to hold the camera. I got a kick out of it... Will have to post photos of it later and maybe learn how to use.

My second SLR, the Pentax Spotmatic, was advertised as "the world's first automatic SLR" because it automatically stops down the lens when you push the shutter button. I still have it along with the original f/1.4 50 mm lens. Once/year I shoot a 12-shot roll just to confirm that it still works. The camera is actual labeled as a "Honeywell Pentax" because Honeywell was the importer at the time.

Wait a minute... Your grandfather's old cameras? I hate you.

Read the manual and practice, practice, practice. With the advances in tech today, the cameras practically do all of the work. You still have to compose your shots, etc. but most of the tech stuff is pretty much taken care of. The manual mode offers you more creativity in you shot. I shoot mostly wildlife and practically live in AV mode. The constant movement of the subjects and light variances makes it impractical to manually adjust the exposure in every shot. I still have the capability to under or over-expose shots if need be. It really boils down to your shooting preference as to which mode best suits you. I started in P-mode and progressed from there.

Most reactions

Back