Slightly Frustrated - What am I doing wrong?

suzzie_stretch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.suzziesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I realize this is the 4th post I've put up in a matter of minutes, I've had a few questions in my head for a while, and I think I've finally located an outlet that might be able to help me :D

I've noticed as I progress with my photography, that I'm just not getting something.

Orange County Wedding Photographer Los Angeles - Lin and Jirsa Photography
This link is a photograher that I really admire their style and shots, and what I strive towards as my goal...I love the crisp, clean-ness of the photos, and I find its something I have a hard time achieving is that sharp crisp clean look, it seems no matter what I do, they are almost always a soft focus?

Is there a lot of post work done to the photos in general in the link I posted? I've posted one from the most recent wedding I did, and although I'm pleased with the photos, as is the client, I just feel that I'm no where NEAR complete growing as a photographer, and want to achieve this nice crispness to photos.
This is another person that I follow, I love the cleanliness of the images Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Any help?

My equipment includes a Nikon D700, a 70-200mm VR lens, a 24-70mm IF lens, a 60mm macro, (and I am hopefully getting a 14-24 from my husband for my birthday!) so it spans across the board, I know the equipment is good...I just realize that technically I may not be doing so well :( my website is www.suzziesphoto.com for a reference

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• $DSC_7516.jpg
    $DSC_7516.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 277
1. your processing skill needs a lot of improvement
2. you need to improve your photo selections (and taste level). I bet the photographer you admire does not spit out amazing images all the time.... but they know how to pick good ones to represent their brand when they blog and on their portfolio.
3. know how to take advantage of the natural light

I would say that you are correct in your self assessment that technically you are not doing well. I looked through most of your gallery and the one thing that you are missing is keeping your horizontal and vertical lines straight. This is basic photography. Your site says that you have the skills, and yet you are having trouble figuring out what has been done in post? The one photo you did post is over saturated and to be blunt, it really doesn't look very professional. If you have the opportunity of taking any good photoshop courses I would suggest that would really help put you in the right direction as a good starting point. The photos on your gallery aren't way off, but the exposures and consistancy that a professional should be producing isn't there yet. More time and more practice and you'll get to the point you are looking for.

Also, most of your shots on your website is soft or has really bad IQ. I am not sure why.

Also, most of your shots on your website is soft or has really bad IQ. I am not sure why.

I noticed the same thing. From your gallery, I can't tell if your IQ is bad/soft or if the files are super compressed making them appear that way. I too noticed that your lines are often crooked.

I agree. Many of your photos appear soft. I agree with Schwetty though, not every photo deserves a place on the page. Pick your very best work to showcase!

1. your processing skill needs a lot of improvement
2. you need to improve your photo selections (and taste level). I bet the photographer you admire does not spit out amazing images all the time.... but they know how to pick good ones to represent their brand when they blog and on their portfolio.
3. know how to take advantage of the natural light

Its not a photographer its a photographer service. They have three masters and multiple associate photographers. Hard to compete with a whole team of great photogs. But just keep practicing and reading. It takes time even with really good gear.

I noticed the same thing. From your gallery, I can't tell if your IQ is bad/soft or if the files are super compressed making them appear that way. I too noticed that your lines are often crooked.

Cheap web hosting. I see it all the time. People might have good photos but with a bad site and bad compression your work will not look as good as it could if you picked a better layout of got professional web development geared towards a photography site.

Well your trying to run before you can walk

Trying to run a marathon is more like it. You have to take out the small fish first before you go shark fishing.

My impression is that in addition to the above comments, you really need to work on your use strobed light. The photo that you posted would have gone from 'bleah' to 'WOW' had you brought along a couple of strobes.

Yes my photoshop skills are quite horrendous and I'm afraid I don't know what IQ means. I also get the metaphors, but I've already written that I know its going down hill for me...and I would like to know what to do correctly, i'm throwing myself out there to make myself better, so I will take the critisim, but if its useful, I dont see the point of a post that says...oh, you just shouldnt be doing this at all, I would like to learn, perhaps some reading material that would assist me? a website? more schooling?
Thank you :)

I would like to know exif info on your images.

Also the photographer you linked to is all BW and your work is in color. This might be a starting point.

Also is your monitor calibrated?

You are adding a lot of color casts, how good are you at getting the color spot on? Self assessment here.

Yes my photoshop skills are quite horrendous and I'm afraid I don't know what IQ means. I also get the metaphors, but I've already written that I know its going down hill for me...and I would like to know what to do correctly, i'm throwing myself out there to make myself better, so I will take the critisim, but if its useful, I dont see the point of a post that says...oh, you just shouldnt be doing this at all, I would like to learn, perhaps some reading material that would assist me? a website? more schooling?
Thank you :)

IQ = IMAGE QUALITY!!!!!!!!

Google photoshop tutorials and get some flash and go to storbist.com.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back