Sling Straps

BigknockHawk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I have been doing some research on sling straps (Black Rapid, BosStrap, Sun Sniper, etc.) in an effort to try to see which one would work best for me. I am, however, concerned about a couple of things. I have found a couple of articles that seem to indicate that Canon (my camera manufacturer) says you should NOT "hang" the camera from a connection at the tripod mount. Can anyone tell me if this is just them being over-cautious to avoid lawsuits, or is it truly not a good idea to have my camera support its weight along with, say, my Canon 100-400 lens, this way? Is it better to use the built in camera strap lug? I don't want to damage my camera.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: fixed lens to 100, not 1000

Last edited:
You have a 1,000-400mm lens? It zooms BACKWARDS?

Anyways, I have a 5D with battery grip, and sometimes carry an 85mm f/1.4 (which is a pretty large and heavy piece of glass, as a matter of fact it weighs the same as the camera without the grip) for a total weight of 4.08lbs hanging from the battery grip tripod mount. I haven't been in a situation where I thought it was going to come loose or anything, but I also haven't carried it with a 70-200 attached. However, I'd use the tripod collar for that more than likely.

Granted, I will say I was VERY SKEPTICAL before buying my black rapid. But once I saw the construction and the rubber where the plate would screw in (So you can get a tight fit and not worry about it coming unscrewed) I felt safer with it. I've had no experience with the Sun Sniper slings, but I've heard they were decent. I'd compare them in person to determine the value of each, as the Black Rapid will be more expensive.

I have a Black Rapid... and use it constantly when doing events, or while hiking. I have used it attached to my 70-200 2.8 VRII (the BEAST as my GF calls it!), but I do attach it to the lenses tripod mount rather than the body or battery grip. It is too darned heavy! For smaller lenses.. I just attach to the body / battery grip... and never have had a problem. I usually always have a hand on the camera though, even when it is slung. I don't let it swing freely, while I am moving.

I find it works well even when I wear a backpack... I just put the Black Rapid on first.

I carry my gripped 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 580EX II all the time. Just attach it to the tripod ring on the lens, and it is perfect. I've never had any problems with BlackRapid, and I really recommend their Sport line for the extra strap under the arm.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

I use a Black Rapid R7 with my D90, MD-D80 grip and Sigma 150-500 with no problems at all. It's much more comfortable than having all that hung around my neck on a neck strap, even a well-padded one. The ring does take up the tripod socket so don't plan on using a tripod or monopod unless your lens has a tripod mounting lug on it.

I use a Black Rapid R7 with my D90, MD-D80 grip and Sigma 150-500 with no problems at all. It's much more comfortable than having all that hung around my neck on a neck strap, even a well-padded one. The ring does take up the tripod socket so don't plan on using a tripod or monopod unless your lens has a tripod mounting lug on it.

I use a CarrySpeed sling which works for me. You do not lose the tripod socket because the CarrySpeed mount has one built in. Also, there is a small additional strap that connects the normal camera attachment lug to the non-opening bracket on the strap, and provides a bit of insurance should anything go wrong with the tripod socket mounted bracket. It is hard to describe, but easy to use and understand. I suggest checking out the CarrySpeed web site and looking at the video. I usually have my Nikon D5100 with 16-200mm Nikon lens on it, and that is a heavy package. I can be out shooting all day with the sling strap and not be bothered by the weight.

You should be able to get a tripod plate with an RC2 connector built in so you can just attach your BlackRapid and use a tripod. I know Manfrotto makes them.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

I have the black rapid which I use with my 645D. It is very secure. The sun sniper however I'd avoid. It unscrewed once with my camera landing on the floor in an aiport. result= camera landed lens first damaged 55mm prime and a scratch on the camera. Camera thankfully worked fine straight after lens in not so good shape. Not the only time it happened. When in korea, I supported the camera with my hands as I was walking up steps next to a sheer drop. Just as well I did because it came off again this ttime I had it in my hand. The Black rapids have been fine.

You should be able to get a tripod plate with an RC2 connector built in so you can just attach your BlackRapid and use a tripod. I know Manfrotto makes them.

I use a CarrySpeed sling which works for me. You do not lose the tripod socket because the CarrySpeed mount has one built in. Also, there is a small additional strap that connects the normal camera attachment lug to the non-opening bracket on the strap, and provides a bit of insurance should anything go wrong with the tripod socket mounted bracket. It is hard to describe, but easy to use and understand. I suggest checking out the CarrySpeed web site and looking at the video. I usually have my Nikon D5100 with 16-200mm Nikon lens on it, and that is a heavy package. I can be out shooting all day with the sling strap and not be bothered by the weight.

I could probably get an adapter and use both for it's really not that much of a problem for me. About the only time I carry a monopod is when I'm using my 150-500 lens and the lens has a tripod socket that I put the monopod plate on. If I'm using a tripod I'm usually not walking very far so again it's not a big deal. It's a good idea though and I may look into it.

As to the "Safety Strap" I do that with mine as well. I use Domke "Gripper" neck straps and they have a short piece that hooks to the camera that has a clip on the end that connects to the main part of the strap. I leave the short sections on my camera and clip them to a ring (an old keyring) and then put that on the Black Rapid snap ring. It keeps the loose ends out of my way and gives me a little feeling of security.

If using a manfrotto D-ring on their plate it could separate at the D-ring and been known to happen. But Black rapid also produces a replacement d-ring kit to replace the default manfrotto setup with.

Black Rapid FastenR-T1 for Manfrotto

Though have used the manfro default carrying a D90/MB-D80 grip and Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D with zero problems. Except after a year there was some bending of the D-ring.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back