SLR with Glasses?

most good cameras allow a mount to be fitted to the viewfinder. This mount can hold a lens - a diopter lens - that can be matched to your glasses prescription. This means that you do not need to wear glasses when looking through the viewfinder.
I have never used one as I do not find using the camera with glasses to be a problem.
(I have to admit that most of the time I do not use my glasses prefering the soft, out of focus effect this produces ;-) )

oriecat said:
I don't really understand the question. I don't have any trouble looking through the viewfinder with my glasses on...

Well, that's the crux of the question, even if it's a slightly dumb one. I can't hold the camera to my eye because I have glasses on, and my glasses are too flimsy to hold the camera against. What do you do, how do you use the viewfinder - just held away from your eye?

Hertz van Rental said:
most good cameras allow a mount to be fitted to the viewfinder. This mount can hold a lens - a diopter lens - that can be matched to your glasses prescription. This means that you do not need to wear glasses when looking through the viewfinder.
I have never used one as I do not find using the camera with glasses to be a problem.
(I have to admit that most of the time I do not use my glasses prefering the soft, out of focus effect this produces ;-) )

Canon’s better models have build in diopter lens

What kind of gear are you using?

DSLRs have the screen on the back of the camera.

Most medium format film SLRs have interchangable veiwfinders. I'm sure some of the prism finders would work, and then there is always a waist level finder.

Some upper end 35mm SLRs offer this feature. Check out the Nikon F3HP. I think the "HP" stands for "high eyepoint", and was designed with eyeglass wearers in mind.

If you're shooting film, Nikon came out with an F3HP(high eyepoint). The viewfinder was designed for people wearing eyeglasses. I think, but I'm not sure, Nikon continued with the HP viewfinder through F4 and maybe beond?? Nikon, like other good cameras offered diopters too. I'm fairly sure they still do...

matthew robertson said:
Well, that's the crux of the question, even if it's a slightly dumb one. I can't hold the camera to my eye because I have glasses on, and my glasses are too flimsy to hold the camera against. What do you do, how do you use the viewfinder - just held away from your eye?

Well I just checked again, and I guess my glasses don't even really press against the cam. I shoot with my left eye, and I press my nose into the back and just look through. I don't intentionally hold it away though. That's just how it ends up. Even without my glasses, my eye isn't pressed against the viewfinder.

jadin said:
ksmattfish said:
DSLRs have the screen on the back of the camera.

Unlike point and shoots, the screen on the back is only shown after the shot for dSLR's. Meaning it's useless for checking focus etc.

Well rats! I had been envisioning being able to use a DSLR like my TLRs.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but get the Lasix Eye Surgery. It will be the BEST money you ever spend. My wife just had it done about a year ago and she still RAVES about it. It's less than $2000 now. Here vision is 20/15 -- better than average!

jadin said:
I don't have a problem with them. My suggestion is get better frames, plain and simple.

Gotta agree with that.
I use a Canon 10D with the eyepiece extender option and my glasses contact the rubber surround, works for me and hasn't damaged anything so far.

My 20D has a built in diopter lens, but since my sight is OK i'm not sure if it does a good job of adjusting to suit those with eyesight problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back