SLT-A35 dead

KaHOnas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought an Alpha 35 two years ago for my wife and I to cut our teeth on "real" photography. Mostly we wanted to get action shots of our dogs doing dog things.

Sadly, however, the -35 has died. Now, granted, it is an entry-level DSLR (SLT?) but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the quality here. I've read in several places online that my issue isn't isolated; it seems that the -33 and -55 suffered the same issue with the camera suffering a fatal error right around 30,000 shutter actuations.

I guess what I'm asking is, since we've been looking at upgrading bodies for a bit now, should I stick with Sony or go with a different brand? I'm already somewhat invested in Sony/Minolta glass and accessories:

70-200 f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
Kit lens and a beer can 75-300 4.5-5.6
Plenty of filters and a shutter remote

I hope you can appreciate my frustration.

tough call. if you're in a position to jump, I might jump to Canon/Nikon, or since you like different brands, Pentax. (I <3 Pentax) New Sony stuff is pretty nice, but being a less established photography brand, I might do extensive research on the body you're looking into to confirm no gremlins are inherent on that model, but really that's good advice for any large purchase. On lower end cameras (sub 1k$) Canon DSLRs feel snappier to me, and the handling of the Canons is very nice, while the Nikons tend to have more mega pixels, and more focus points, though the feel of them is love it or hate it. Nice cameras for sure, no hate for Nikon, I just like the feel of the Canon stuff. Both Canon and Nikon offer bodies with good video features in this price range. Pentax in the same $ bracket will net you basic video functions, great color, and weather sealing, as well as a very intuitive user interface, and a range of colors to choose from, and that signature Pentax quirk.

Sony, if you stay with it, has some of the best sensors there are, and offer some very cool tech, though they still tend to be more proprietary than any of the big camera companies, and their designs tend to have a different feel to them than other brands, at least in my handling of them. Sony also does very well in video, and their stuff is built well, previous body not withstanding. Can't go wrong anyway you slice it, I guess, though if you switch brands, you may sell your lenses to try and recoup some of the cost of buying into a new system.

I saw an A-330 + 18-55 for $269 this weekend in a local pawn shop. Sony Alpha A330 10.2 Megapixel DSLR Kit with Tilt Screen I have handled and shot a bit with the 70-200/2.8 Sony, and it's NICE! Getting an equivalent to that in Canon is gonna be expensive. Same with Nikon.

I bet you can find something in a used Sony body, maybe an A77?

I've been searching around for a "better" camera since I guess we're stuck with Sony. We know how they're set up, we have a bunch of equipment for it, I'm just upset because not only did it break, but even though we were planning on upgrading, the -35 was going to be our backup body. :-\

I see that B&H has the -58 for sale for ~$450 until 1 November. I'm tempted to pull the trigger but, as I just found out about the sale, I don't know much about this body. I certainly don't want to jump into the same problem.

And, Derrel, I've been searching for used bodies but it seems we've made it difficult since we aren't Canon or Nikon shooters, which is one more reason why I've considered ditching Sony (the lack of support).

Last edited:
a77 ii. Probably one of the best APSC bodies out currently. The focusing system is amazing.

ConradM, I've been looking at that one as well but it's a bit out of my price range. It'll probably be our next step unless I can get into a -99 for a steal.

ConradM, I've been looking at that one as well but it's a bit out of my price range. It'll probably be our next step unless I can get into a -99 for a steal.
99 might be getting a successor next year as well.

If you can find a refurb or used you wouldn't be unhappy with an a65 or a77 either.

I remember the -65 being the cat's meow (as far as APS-C bodies went) when we got our -35. I'm not opposed to getting one but I'm not sure where else to look. I'm absolutely fine with a refurb. Where do you all look for that kind of thing?

I've been using B&H and Amazon for purchases and those two with DPReview.com for opinions.

I remember the -65 being the cat's meow (as far as APS-C bodies went) when we got our -35. I'm not opposed to getting one but I'm not sure where else to look. I'm absolutely fine with a refurb. Where do you all look for that kind of thing?

I've been using B&H and Amazon for purchases and those two with DPReview.com for opinions.

the A65 is a nice body I'd you are in a little more of a budget crunch. However with the A77ii out the A77 has become a lot more affordable especially a used one. Sounds like you already have yourself some great pieces of glass which helps a lot with your budget. I would venture to guess you would be more than thrilled with an A77. If you are patient amazon has a deal of you buy the body you get a vertical battery grip free which is totally worth it. I hope you aren't discouraged from sony because of your 35. They are all machines, And machines break no matter what the brand.

I'd even wonder how you would like using an optical view finder. I know after using the EVF's in my Sony's I could never go without it.

I've had the A100, then A55, then the A57.

If I had to replace my A57 without going up in cost I would take the A58. The only thing I don't like about it is the non-metal lens mount. Reviews do say that it is great image quality, better than my A57 ... and is being sold cheaper than what I paid for the 57.

... and to note, none of my Sonys (and my wife's Sonys) have failed.

... and to note, none of my Sonys (and my wife's Sonys) have failed.

That's what kills me. We've always gone to great lengths to ensure this camera was well taken care of and protected. I'm just irritated. There's not a mark on this camera. [emoji53]

I'm on the fence about the -58.

The 58 has a fixed LCD right? That would rule it out for me.

From what I've read, the -58 has an articulated screen. I'm not sure *how* articulated it is; from the pictures I've seen, it appeared it just flips out, but it's certainly not fixed.

Most reactions

Back