Small zoom lens recommendation (Canon)

Mendoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping someone out there might be able to recommend a lens for me. I'm looking for something specific.
First, I have a Canon EOS 7D and 4 lenses (macro 50mm; fixed 50mm; wide-angle 10-20mm; and a Tamron 28-300mm zoom.) The zoom was gifted to me and not what I would choose now since it has some "shortcomings" e.g. no IS or USM and an apparent susceptibility to softness and chromatic aberrations. It's also bulky, being 300mm. But I do love that fixed 50mm lens.
The simplest way to put what I'm looking for is a small, sharp zoom. I'm not looking for 300mm or even 135mm necessarily; just something that can cover a little more range than my fixed lens with comparable sharpness. Obviously I'd love IS USM GPS F/0.8 features but my budget is $400 max so the only essential feature is a reasonable aperture.

Lenses I was looking at so far:
(Canon)
- EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
- EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
- EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

- Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF

What do you think?

Any help at all is appreciated.

I've had experience with the 28-135mm IS on film. Its a good lens... its a relatively old design by now (I believe one of the first with IS from Canon). It is still considered a good value lens by most. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 would probably be my first choice among the listed although I've never had it in my hands. I've read some favorable reviews on it and the faster aperture is a big advantage.

One of my oldie favorites is a Tamron 35-135 f/2.8 Aspherical from (I think the mid-90s) and i still use it today on my 1dMII (when the 24-105L is too slow). Very good performer and well built... difficult to find on the used market. So in my mind, Tamron is still a good option. I have to admit, I haven't purchased a Tamron product for more than 10years now.

I have the 70-250mm IS USM f/4-5.6 that came with the camera package I purchased (Canon XSi & kit lens).

It is smaller than the L lenses and with good light seems very sharp to me. Fits in my Slingshot 100, attached to camera. I like it for everyday shooting.

I've since purchased the 100-400mm f/4.5L IS for shooting primarily sports (still needs good light but is an L lens and gives me more reach).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back