Snake Identification

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw this guy out in about in Upstate NY.

I only got a fleeting glance and a quick snap. Was maybe 3-4 feet long. I want to say it's a water moccasin but nothing on google looks like it.

$FAB_8359.jpg

Could also be a Northern Water Snake. The length is about right, they're common in the region and the bands/body look a lot like one. Saw more than a few when I was stationed in NY.

ETA: They're often confused with Water Moccasin .. or copperheads.

Man that thing is huge... ugh I'm already sketched out by open water and now think big ass snakes are in there too is well... not helping my situation

Could also be a Northern Water Snake. The length is about right, they're common in the region and the bands/body look a lot like one. Saw more than a few when I was stationed in NY.

I am thinking you are right. But it was very orange.

That would fit .. they commonly have yellow bodies, and they get darker as they age. In the water, it may well have looked more orange.

That would fit .. they commonly have yellow bodies, and they get darker as they age. In the water, it may well have looked more orange.

It didn't have the "ima gonna bite you" triangle head. Good because lots of kids, including mine where running around.

Yeah, hard to tell in the pic, but it didn't seem to have the pit viper head..

And I think Water Mocissan can be kind of aggressive too.

I've only had one bad encounter with a snake.. and that was a rattlesnake. Despite not moving, it bit me ... grumpy sumbitch...

I've only had one bad encounter with a snake.. and that was a rattlesnake. Despite not moving, it bit me ... grumpy sumbitch...

Thankfully Maine doesn't have any venomous snakes. I've seen tons of rattlers here in the NY mtns. Lots of dumb tourists getting inside the strike zone to take pictures.

LOL.. people have a habit of fooling around with what they don't understand.

In addition to their range when they strike, they're fast! Was told after I was bitten that they can strike at around 10 feet per second.

I WOULD find the cranky one.. lol

In addition to their range when they strike, they're fast! Was told after I was bitten that they can strike at around 10 feet per second.

Did you at least get a new pair of boots or a belt out of the ordeal?

I did not... I've had my ass kicked by a squirrel.. so I didn't want to try my luck with a diamond back. Lol

I did not... I've had my ass kicked by a squirrel.. so I didn't want to try my luck with a diamond back. Lol

It wasn't me.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back