What's new

Snapshot or artsy?

limr36 5

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
20,814
Reaction score
13,166
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm still narrowing down some cat pictures I could use to donate for an auction fundraiser for a cat sanctuary that just had a fire. I've been generally avoiding pictures of my own cats because they are generally not print-worthy, but there are one or two that might be in the running.

Here's one from my latest roll. It was shot in color and I've included the original and a b&w conversion.

Any thoughts if this would be a contender? And if so, color or b&w?

Many thanks in advance!

$Mrs Parker color.webp $Mrs Parker b&w.webp

(Edited: If it's just a snapshot, then it's just a snapshot. I'm okay with that. I'm just having trouble judging this one. I may cry at ASPCA commercials and at the end of "Snoopy Come Home" but I won't cry at honesty :) )
 
Last edited:
Color for me.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
Thank you muchly!

Anyone else?
 
It would be better if the cat was in focus instead of the lamp.
But even then, I would have a tough time selling this as artsy.

Cute cat though. And a good cause.
Just not sold 100% on the photo.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
Yeah, I suspected as much. It seems like a better-than-average snap, but not good enough to be anything other than a snap.

The lamp does take up too much attention. It was a fight even to get that much focus on the cat - every time I lifted the camera, she lunged over to lick the lens :) Most of them came out like this:

$Untitled-Scanned-12.webp

It's too bad because the expression on her face is killing me in this one! But this is essentially why, as I said, I'm steering away from my own cats. I was trying to get a few 'artsier' shots since I decided to donate the picture, and this is as close as I've gotten. My cats aren't outdoor cats, so I'm limited to inside settings, which aren't necessarily 'artsy.'

MiFleur - I really appreciate the offer of a cat photo, but I was unclear. They're not really asking for digital files of cat pictures. They are having an auction (both silent and...not silent, whatever a regular auction is called) as a fundraiser and I've offered (and they accepted) a framed print that they could have for the silent auction.

If anyone is interested in the story, here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MidHudsonAnimalAid?hc_location=stream
 
Last edited:
I'm still narrowing down some cat pictures I could use to donate for an auction fundraiser for a cat sanctuary that just had a fire. I've been generally avoiding pictures of my own cats because they are generally not print-worthy, but there are one or two that might be in the running.

One of the problems on this site is that those making comments often don't deal with the problems implied by the OP.
I noticed that you had said you were narrowing down your pictures - and clearly since this looked normal, you hadn't made much progress.
No one else noticed but, since I have had so many wives I am sensitive to the slightest implied desires of the gentler gender, I did.

So I have narrowed the B&W for you. I leave the color one to you.
No thanks required.

Lew

Mrs-Parker-bampw222.jpg~original
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
I'm still narrowing down some cat pictures I could use to donate for an auction fundraiser for a cat sanctuary that just had a fire. I've been generally avoiding pictures of my own cats because they are generally not print-worthy, but there are one or two that might be in the running.

One of the problems on this site is that those making comments often don't deal with the problems implied by the OP.
I noticed that you had said you were narrowing down your pictures - and clearly since this looked normal, you hadn't made much progress.
No one else noticed but, since I have had so many wives I am sensitive to the slightest implied desires of the gentler gender, I did.

So I have narrowed the B&W for you. I leave the color one to you.
No thanks required.

Lew

Mrs-Parker-bampw222.jpg~original

Well played, Lew :)
 
Color. Pretty tabby. I've got to go with snap, but that's OK - it's a kitty! Snaps of kitties and bacon are allowed.
 
Speaking of aspect ratio, I think this shot might be improved by cropping a substantial part of the dark bottom.

FWIW
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
Speaking of aspect ratio, I think this shot might be improved by cropping a substantial part of the dark bottom.

FWIW

Actually, I was just playing around with it and came to the same conclusion.

And if I want it 'artsier', I could go all over-processed on its ass! ;)

(BTW, I'm not seriously considering these, but these days, people are so Instagram-saturated, some people might actually gobble this schite up!)


Cyanotype Mrs. Parker!

$Cyanotype Mrs Parker.webp

Lomo Mrs. Parker!

$Lomo Mrs Parker.webp

Barbara-Walters-soft-focus Mrs. Parker!

$Mrs Parker soft focus.webp

Vignetted Mrs. Parker!

$Vignette Mrs Parker.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom