SO CONFUSED!

love.sublime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does the Sunny 16 rule work??

I can't really remember the shutter speed because I've never actually had to put this to use, but I think it means in direct sunlight, stop down to f/16 and use a shutter speed of 1/125th.

in bright sun...use f/16 and the reciprocal of your shutter speed.

AKA for ISO 100 use 1/100 (probably closer to 1/125)

Try it out...it works quite well.

in bright sun...use f/16 and the reciprocal of your shutter speed.

AKA for ISO 100 use 1/100 (probably closer to 1/125)

Try it out...it works quite well.

Yup...sideburns said it well...although did you mean "reciprocal of your film speed/ISO?"

I just read it in the book I'm reading - "Photographing Plants and Flowers" by Paul Harcourt Davies

If you are interested in 'rule of thumb' exposure, also take a look at Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer:

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Scroll down to the table headed Exposure Value Chart, which gives you the EV number for lots of different lighting situations. Scroll further down to the next chart, find that EV number for your ISO setting on the left and look up the aperture and shutter speed settings on the right.

WOW!!

Thanks much.

That is exactly what I needed. :thumbup:

Just be a bit careful with Fred Parker's use of 'EV' - it can be a bit confusing because it isn't consistent with established practice. He uses it in place of BV, or brightness value. EV is not a measure of scene brightness, it is simply a combination of shutter speed and aperture; or of brightness and sensitivity (ISO). When he quotes EV, he means EV at ISO 100 only, not at any other ISO. The EV will be different for other ISOs in the same scene brightness.

It would have been a lot simpler if he had stuck to the method given in the document his table is based on, ie using BV for scene brightness.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back