So excited! I *think* I nailed it this time!!!

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't had too much time for TPF today, but I was so exited I had to share!!!

The light wasn't as perfect as it was the other night, but this guy came up near my door today so I grabbed my camera, and I am pretty thrilled with how this one came out compared to the other night! I LOVE that you can see his horns are fuzzy. ( I never knew deer had fuzzy horns until I moved to the mountains!) I wonder if I should leave more room on the right, but I also wanted his eye in a "power point"

So, I am ready now, burst my bubble, and tell me what I did wrong. $14386278352_2dc8af9e10_c.jpg

I like the shot. Maybe a touch dark for me but I think you nailed it.

As for the fuzz. Deer don't have horns they have antlers. Horns continually grow while antlers grow then harden in the fall then are shed in late winter and begin to re grow each spring. Fascinating and one of the fastest growing tissues on the planet. Can grow up to an inch per day during peak growing time.

On second thought the dark look may be just from the less than optimal lighting you have. I think you may have nailed it the best that was possible under the conditions you had.

I like the shot. Maybe a touch dark for me but I think you nailed it. As for the fuzz. Deer don't have horns they have antlers. Horns continually grow while antlers grow then harden in the fall then are shed in late winter and begin to re grow each spring. Fascinating and one of the fastest growing tissues on the planet. Can grow up to an inch per day during peak growing time.
Well, I got it right on my fb post. :) I do know they are called antlers, I guess my fingers slipped on the key board. Hehehe. Very interesting about it being the fastest growing tissue on the planet! That so neat! As for the exposure- I thought about brightening it, but I wanted to keep a "dusk" sort of feel to it. Maybe that's off the mark though?

Here it is .5 stop brighter. Better?$14387796375_2226d169ac_o.jpg

I think you were right to keep it feeling "dusk"; something about the 1/2 stop brighter makes it feel like it's in the wrong key. Good shootin' with the new rig, Jazzie! This young buck is said to be "in velvet", which is the correct term for the fuzzy antlers.

Yep, I think the original was better. Maybe just reduce the shadows a tad instead of the exposure, but a really good shot.The only thing I would have done was cropped with a little more room, but for all I know there could be ugly things there lol.

I think you were right to keep it feeling "dusk"; something about the 1/2 stop brighter makes it feel like it's in the wrong key. Good shootin' with the new rig, Jazzie! This young buck is said to be "in velvet", which is the correct term for the fuzzy antlers.

Thanks, and Good to know!! I'll leave "fuzzy" for the bears from now on. Maybe some day I'll be able to shoot the one who keeps getting into my trash. (With a camera, not a rifle.)

I agree the darker one is better. Ignore me I don't know what I'm doing.

I like the composition and the lighting of the first one. Love how you can see his soft brown eyes.

Yep, I think the original was better. Maybe just reduce the shadows a tad instead of the exposure, but a really good shot.The only thing I would have done was cropped with a little more room, but for all I know there could be ugly things there lol.

Just more bushes, nothing too ugly! I'm weird, and I like the background on the top and the background on the (in this case) right to be even generally. This time however, I was trying to use the ROT power point. Maybe I'll play with the crop some more tomorrow and revert to my usual methods.

That's a great capture, Jazzie! The lighting and composition are very good. Congrats!

Here is one with a wider crop (and this is more my style), with the even-ness between the head and right frame) I changed the curve a little bit, but I didn't want to loose all the shadows and end up with flat lighting. WDYT?$14201350528_95ed6578f1_o.jpg

I still think the first one is the best. What have you done in post? Just played with the levels?

Let's see....

Crop,
Sharpen eyes
Adjust WB (auto did a pretty terrible job this time!)
curves adjustment. I pulled up my brights and I brought my darks back down do barely below the line.
Convert to jpg.

Pretty sure that's it!

Most reactions

Back