So frustrated!

KBM1016

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autumnlightsstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is a photo I took yesterday. I am so annoyed at the shadows that it's not even funny. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this in post? I tried messing with it yesterday but couldn't get to anything that didn't look processed.

Ideas at this point would help.

_MG_5513 by Autumnlightsphotos, on Flickr

It can be fixed in post if you have Photoshop.. some creative cloning, dodging and burning, etc... but really should be re-shot. Bad lighting... what did you use.. and how did you shoot this? Looks like bare flash camera left... not diffused at all.

There is no way to show you if or how well it can be fixed for two reasons:
1) you've set the images private in Flickr and trying to edit a tiny picture like this posted here is useless
2) you don't allow editing and so respondents can only tell and not show - a totally inadequate way of dealing with a graphic situation.

You could have used a reflector camera right to help the shadows a bit.

Although I appreciate the offer, I don't really want anyone editing my photos simply because that's the easy way out. I can't learn to fix my errors if I don't do them myself :)

I do have CS5, I have one soft box camera left directed at my kids, the other is on the backdrop. I have yet to invest in a reflector (which is next on my list coming at the end of the month) which I would have used as fill to the right. I was hoping to bounce enough light off the wall but alas, no luck. I may try the reshoot simply because I love the new backdrop.

Although I appreciate the offer, I don't really want anyone editing my photos simply because that's the easy way out. I can't learn to fix my errors if I don't do them myself :)

You won't really understand your errors unless you see how other people edit your pictures.
But it's your choice.

You won't really understand your errors unless you see how other people edit your pictures.
But it's your choice.

Plus they can give a step by step as to what they did.

I don't think this is a bad shot at all even with the shadows. Warm up the temperature, add a bit of contrast and ramp up the vibrance and this would be a shot you could show off. If you wanted to get a little more artistic you could add a duplicate layer, give it a gaussian blur to de-focus the background more and mask your girls back into focus.

Try not to get bogged down too much in technical perfection. This is a very good photograph with two adorable models.

I do have CS5, I have one soft box camera left directed at my kids, the other is on the backdrop. I have yet to invest in a reflector (which is next on my list coming at the end of the month) which I would have used as fill to the right. I was hoping to bounce enough light off the wall but alas, no luck. I may try the reshoot simply because I love the new backdrop.

The beauty of a reflector is that it doesn't have to be anything special. Grab a piece of foamboard, poster board, or really anything white and snug it in on the right side.

I'm guessing you might be able to get your softbox a little closer in on the left too. It and the reflector can be "just" out of the frame, as long as they're decent enough size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back