so i bought understanding exposure

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
its a great book and all, and i did learn a lot, but it wasnt what i was looking for in a book.
I need a book that explains ISO and aperture to a beginner. i know nothing about the 2 topics and dont want to wait until fall to learn it when i start my classes. Im going on a few trips this summer and i want to be able to use my camera(i recently bought a Canon A1 with a 50mm lens)
So does anyone know of a good book that explains aperture and iso setting(i.e when/where to use what settings) that they recommend??

thnx =]]

Go buy Scott Kelby's books: "The Digital Photography Book". There are 2 volumes out right now, and a 3rd one will be out in the beginning of August.

ISO:

Lower Number means your image will have more quality (less noise), but it will take a longer shutter speed to get it.

Aperture:

Controls depth of field, or how much of the photo is in focus. The smaller the number, the thinner the depth of field, but the faster the shutter speed.

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but its just a start until you find a book. I would suggest a small, easy to read book. Something you can even take with you places and look at whenever you get confused (like I do a lot).

When i got Understanding Exposure it didnt make sense either. It was only when i began to shoot more that the book made sense.

Look at iso this way..when your taking a pic in low light you will need a slower shutter speed to expose the pic properly. Doing this hand held will be a problem, camera shake will ruin the shot. In this instance you can bump your iso up to help expose the shot.
The consequence to using a higher iso is image quality, this can be better on some cameras than others.

Isn't the A1 a film camera?

i think it is. nevertheless,

ISO is a number assigned to film which gives a measure of its sensitivity to light. the lower the number the less sensitive it is, the higher the number the more sensitive it is. what this means in practice is that if you are using ISO 100 film you will need a longer exposure than if you were using ISO 200. or if you wish to use the same shutter speed then you can use a larger aperture.

the aperture is the opening in the lens through which the light will pass when you snap the shot. you can see this on a film camera if you set the shutter speed to "B" and depress the shutter release button and hold it down. now look in the lens and you will see the iris of the lens has closed in some and the hole in the middle is the aperture.

adjusting the the f-stop (i.e f 2.0 or f16 ) is the way you change the aperture for a particular shot or situation. if you make the f-stop higher then the aperture will be smaller. you can play with your camera on the "B" setting and check this out.

now all that stuff in the book comes next.

HTH
jerry

I say forget about spending money oon books, spend some time shooting.

Aperture: How much light is let into the lens. The smaller the number, the more light is let in, also, it make the depth of feild more shallow (also, larger focal lengths decrease the DOF)
ISO: How sensitive the film/digital sensor is. Higher the number, the more sensative (allowing faster shutter speeds. When high ISO and small aperture #s are used, faster shutter speeds can be used)
However, if you use a high ISO, you will get more Grain/Noise in your images.

That is the basics. Go out and shoot in manual and find out for yourself instead of wasting money on books.
The only book I ever read about cameras is "The Camera" by Ansel Adams...and all I learned about was distortion and difraction....which he didnt explain all to well. I got that from a library.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back