So I spent $5300.00 on new gear. Fisheye vs Superwide

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive had the glass for a few days. I must say Im truly disappointed in the amount of distortion Im getting out of the sigma 8mm fish eye. Im shooting with a 50D. I borrowed a friends 5d and got a almost identical effect. Keep in mind its not the 50d vs the 5d. Its more of the crop sensor vs the full sensor. Your suposed to get more distortion with a full censor camera but I cant see the difference in fisheye distortion between the two. Well the only difference I noticed. The 5D you get the full circle but the 50D you dont. But thats usually irrelevant cuz after the shoot you usually crop the image anyways. But like I say barely see any difference at all. And the distortion is pretty week.

I bought

Sigma 10-20mm LUV IT!!!! My new favorite lens. HA HA it cost 1/2 as much as the others.
Sigma 8mm FISHEYE debating on returning it.
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. So far so good.
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 So far so good.
Speedlite 580
2 batterys and 4 memory cards.
Pelican case.
Canon 60D debating on exchanging it for the 5d. Havnt opened the box yet. Cuz I can experiment with the new glass on my 50D.
Still got to order some pockey wizards.

Curious move in getting the 60D when you already have a 50D since the 60D isn't a direct upgrade (it shares the name only, the midrange line is now split between the lower tier 60D and the higher tier 7d) - the 60D lacking some features such as the "pro" control method wheels and the Af-micro adjust. Course its also the highest end camera currently with a flippy screeny thingy.

Agreed I wouldnt swap my 50D for a 60D. I think you either need to get the 7d or 5dmkII or just keep the 50.

Im preparing to shoot weddings. I need two camera bodys. I normally shoot with two anyways. But my back up is a old Olympus, thats not industry standard. But even if I prefferred to shoot with only one camera. I NEED A BACK UP!!! In case something goes worng. So its not that Im upgrading, but rather buying back up gear.

But now Im arguing with myself on making it a upgrade. LOL!

Ive had the glass for a few days. I must say Im truly disappointed in the amount of distortion Im getting out of the sigma 8mm fish eye. Im shooting with a 50D. I borrowed a friends 5d and got a almost identical effect. Keep in mind its not the 50d vs the 5d. Its more of the crop sensor vs the full sensor. Your suposed to get more distortion with a full censor camera but I cant see the difference in fisheye distortion between the two. Well the only difference I noticed. The 5D you get the full circle but the 50D you dont. But thats usually irrelevant cuz after the shoot you usually crop the image anyways. But like I say barely see any difference at all. And the distortion is pretty week.

400x.jpg

Who complains about distortion from a fisheye? Isn't that why you bought it in the first place?

You arent spending your $ wisely I think if you want to shoot weddings. I would have gone with a full frame, I would have gone with more fast primes, I would have gone with a macro instead of a fish eye?? Sigma did come up with nice primes but their zoom lenses suck. Right now I would only buy the 50 and the 85 prime from Sigma.

400x.jpg

Who complains about distortion from a fisheye? Isn't that why you bought it in the first place?

ahh but he's complaining about "weak" distortion not strong distortion - so its not fishy enough

You would get different distortion from a different sized sensor? I thought you would just get a smaller FOV with the same distortion.

I see your $5300 and raise it $2200!!

DX sensor only will use light from the center area of an FX lens (less distortion in the middle eh?). FX sensor uses the whole lens.

ahh but he's complaining about "weak" distortion not strong distortion - so its not fishy enough
Something smells fishy. (NSFW) :biggrin:

Back OT, a fisheye won't do much for a wedding photographer (if I read correctly from another thread).

If you're wanting to shoot weddings, then the fisheye and ultrawide are bad choices, as is the 60d (arguably). Go the 5D and keep the 50d as backup/2nd body and get a nice prime lens or 2.

This thread makes me sad.

1 week schlepping bags with a pro for free and figuring out what you really needed would have saved you a lot of money.

I rather be stuck with a 5D and 50mm all night than using the combos you have.

You would get different distortion from a different sized sensor? I thought you would just get a smaller FOV with the same distortion.
Most of the distortion on wide angle/fisheye lenses will be on the edges - the part that gets 'cropped' out on a crop sensor camera.

I rather be stuck with a 5D and 50mm all night than using the combos you have.

What's wrong with the Sigmas?
I mean yes the 24-70mm and 70-200mm are not quite as good as canons top end (I'll let the 70-200mm be against canons original 70-200mm not the M2) but still in the right hands will deliver a more than suitable product when combined with the right lighting and usage.
And the sigma 10-20mm is rated very well against the canon 10-22mm.

Most reactions

Back