So, I suck at posing....

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really suck at posing adults...or anyone really. Are there any posing guides that I can download to my phone to keep with me? I did a TFP shoot today and I hate the poses.

there are many posing refernce materials. THe best one I saw was like a deck of cards.... was it Doug Gordon, I think so. What helped me was helping out more experienced friends. If you can offer assistance holding a light...do it. I suck at posing people too.

there are many posing refernce materials. THe best one I saw was like a deck of cards.... was it Doug Gordon, I think so. What helped me was helping out more experienced friends. If you can offer assistance holding a light...do it. I suck at posing people too.

Oo???

I know this answer doesn't help a lot, but the more you do it, the better and more comfortable you will be. You'll be amazed at how much better your posing will be once you relax and get over being nervous trying to pose people. Of course, reading is always good, but relax. Take time to really look and think about what looks good, don't just open your mouth and tell people where to go because you feel like you can't think about it for a second. :)

I know this answer doesn't help a lot, but the more you do it, the better and more comfortable you will be. You'll be amazed at how much better your posing will be once you relax and get over being nervous trying to pose people. Of course, reading is always good, but relax. Take time to really look and think about what looks good, don't just open your mouth and tell people where to go because you feel like you can't think about it for a second. :)
I second this. I've also found that just letting people naturally do what they do while making small adjustments makes for good "poses". The more I try to pose someone, the more uncomfortable and unnatural the shot looks.

Having your subjects do their thing naturally may yield some decent results, but understanding the foundations that traditional portrait photographers use will increase your keeper rate. The Why is more important than the How. Once you have some knowledge and experience, then veer down the path of your chosen style.

10. The Rules Of Good Portraiture

Something to keep in mind for group shots: typically you want "higher" rather than "wider" though some exceptions exist (ie, bridal party). Build in a pyramid style when photographing large or small groups. And keep every one tight together, nice and cozy :)

There are a ton of smartphone applications which have posing guides and instructions, and don't forget to look at Creative Live. They often have photographers such as Lindsay Adler featured who will give excellent advice on this topic.

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful info and links! I'll be doing some studying before my next TFP shoot.

One of the reasons I still do some TFP. practice. as said, more you do it, better you will get as long as you do some reading and really look at your subject and see what they are doing or not doing. I went to my local library and got a few books on posing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back