So, I suck at posing....

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really suck at posing adults...or anyone really. Are there any posing guides that I can download to my phone to keep with me? I did a TFP shoot today and I hate the poses.

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
there are many posing refernce materials. THe best one I saw was like a deck of cards.... was it Doug Gordon, I think so. What helped me was helping out more experienced friends. If you can offer assistance holding a light...do it. I suck at posing people too.

IByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
there are many posing refernce materials. THe best one I saw was like a deck of cards.... was it Doug Gordon, I think so. What helped me was helping out more experienced friends. If you can offer assistance holding a light...do it. I suck at posing people too.

Oo???

Golfcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this answer doesn't help a lot, but the more you do it, the better and more comfortable you will be. You'll be amazed at how much better your posing will be once you relax and get over being nervous trying to pose people. Of course, reading is always good, but relax. Take time to really look and think about what looks good, don't just open your mouth and tell people where to go because you feel like you can't think about it for a second. :)

DanOstergren

Reaction score
I know this answer doesn't help a lot, but the more you do it, the better and more comfortable you will be. You'll be amazed at how much better your posing will be once you relax and get over being nervous trying to pose people. Of course, reading is always good, but relax. Take time to really look and think about what looks good, don't just open your mouth and tell people where to go because you feel like you can't think about it for a second. :)
I second this. I've also found that just letting people naturally do what they do while making small adjustments makes for good "poses". The more I try to pose someone, the more uncomfortable and unnatural the shot looks.

kundalini

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Having your subjects do their thing naturally may yield some decent results, but understanding the foundations that traditional portrait photographers use will increase your keeper rate. The Why is more important than the How. Once you have some knowledge and experience, then veer down the path of your chosen style.

10. The Rules Of Good Portraiture

jowensphoto

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Something to keep in mind for group shots: typically you want "higher" rather than "wider" though some exceptions exist (ie, bridal party). Build in a pyramid style when photographing large or small groups. And keep every one tight together, nice and cozy :)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
There are a ton of smartphone applications which have posing guides and instructions, and don't forget to look at Creative Live. They often have photographers such as Lindsay Adler featured who will give excellent advice on this topic.

OP
wyogirl

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful info and links! I'll be doing some studying before my next TFP shoot.

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Photos OK to edit
One of the reasons I still do some TFP. practice. as said, more you do it, better you will get as long as you do some reading and really look at your subject and see what they are doing or not doing. I went to my local library and got a few books on posing.

Most reactions

ClickASnap