So I tried it.

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried some of the high key stuff and fixed in post. Wanted to try using the other light as a hair light and let the background go darker like Kundalini suggested but my friends son had a melt down. And then all he wanted to do was play Mortal Combat on PS3 lol. So technically I know these aren't perfect and are very staged but she was happy. It hard to avoid shadows and halo's trying to fix a white background in post. Or at least it was for me. Sharing three pics with you. First two are my friends son and third is my daughter and I thought it was a cute snapshot and wanted to share. I know on her picture there is awful blowback from the lighting and their was in all of her pictures, not sure how to fix it but will play some more definitely . Any thoughts and critiques are always
welcome. Oh and what do you do about reflections etc in say the ornament. Do you try and clone it out?

5239868771_84f1fe9e5b_z.jpg

5240497324_36d9c01d94_z.jpg

5240611328_61099c8002_z.jpg

they're good. better than 99% of what most parents take. I remember seeing a birthday party where the parent took all the shots from her frame of view. that kid was going to have his photos have less and less of the top of his head visible as he got older

on the ornaments, you get less shiny ornaments. spend your time taking the photo, not worrying about shiny things.

I've found you have less than 15 minutes to photograph children until they hit mid elementary school. the last kid shoot I did we purposefully took the photos while the kid played.
Sara Age Two
this entire album is less than 20 minutes time and almost every shot is unique. I shot handheld with an on camera flash bouncing off the ceiling

here's one of my son at 2 months old. I was on the ground too to get this shot. I have studio lights but I used on camera here too because it was quicker to work with. he was fussy after 10 minutes of me flashing him
DSX_0588
I need to edit the exposure on this one. it's slightly bright

Last edited:
Good expressions. Still turned out alright. Like flyingmenber stated, these are better than what 99% of parents can make.

Did you flag the background lights ?

No I didn't, up until now I didn't even think about it.

I had background light with barn doors aimed right at the background camera right, large softbox camera left with a reflector positioned straight across. I only have two lights and stand at the moment. It was very ghetto set up. :lol:

Good professional quality children's images.

The high key feel works really well for this type of image, I bet your friend is pumped about these images!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Gsgary would flagging the background light eliminate some of the blowback.

Nicely done.

I was watching a few of these videos the other day from Lastolite. I thought of your high key shots with kids. The thing I got out of it is to let the kids be kids and still be able to grab shots. Others won't because they force the kids to behave like adults. Just my 2¢. Have a look.

Shooting Kids with the HiLite Lastolite School of Photography

Thanks for the feedback guys. Gsgary would flagging the background light eliminate some of the blowback.

It stop direct light from the background light onto the subject but it won't stop it reflecting onto the subject if they are to close, how close was the subject to the backdrop ?

Love #3 Dee...looks wonderful! :)

Nicely done.

I was watching a few of these videos the other day from Lastolite. I thought of your high key shots with kids. The thing I got out of it is to let the kids be kids and still be able to grab shots. Others won't because they force the kids to behave like adults. Just my 2¢. Have a look.

Shooting Kids with the HiLite Lastolite School of Photography

Thanks Kundalini, I actually went to a seminar this summer from this guy Calgary Professional Photographer – Wedding Photography and Portrait Photography
who owns kidsphotoscanada.com. He had the exact same advice. Thats my approach too. Let them be goofy, see their personality and if their personality is heathen, then fine, if its goofy whatever. Thanks for the link.

It stop direct light from the background light onto the subject but it won't stop it reflecting onto the subject if they are to close, how close was the subject to the backdrop ?

6 Feet ish.

6 Feet ish.
That's a big part of your spill problem. It's to close to the background. It would help immensely if you could double that to 12 to 15 feet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back