So if you had to start over, how would you do it? Business model make-over.

AnthonyRyanPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So we set up shop in April of this year. After playing with various business models, here is the basic one that we have set up with.

Equipment invested in (everyone's gotta start somewhere) was a canon 550D, to replace our old SLR, a Tamron 70-200 2.8, 28-75 2.8, and a Tokina 12-24 F4 We also have a 1.8 50mm II

We have a backdrop, umbrella kit, small softbox, and 3 Sigma 610 DG Strobes

I know I invested in the wrong type of equipment, but you live and you learn right? It makes decent images

We have been using Facebook to drive all of our website traffic, and to generate referrals and buzz around our business. Our storefront has been our website, Santa Clarita Photographer | Michael Anthony Photography, and our blog is Michael Anthony Photography | Santa Clarita Photography Blog » More than an Image Captured. I have been trying to optimize our website for Google searches, by building backlinks and such. I have been able to get us on the first page for the term Santa Clarita Photographer, and the second page for "Santa Clarita Photographers," other than that we are pretty invisible to google, and we barely get any hits on those keywords every month. We are also set up with google and yahoo local, yelp and att yellowpages free.

For pricing we started off with a low sitting fee, with potential to upsell. With all pricing posted on our site. We have since raised our sitting fee to $125, and pricing in general as well. (Full portrait CD is $500.) We took the advice that says higher prices will produce a better client.

Most of our clients, have been through word of mouth referrals, problem is there has not been many at all.

The way it has worked is that I have been contacted over the phone, and if the client is local we do a consultation, then the shoot, and then I post the images online for them to choose. I understand that selling in person will result in more $$$, but right now we want to expand our volume of clientele, and when it pops off, we will do in-home sales. We live in an affluent city with a lot of families. There is a mall in our immediate area with a "Picture People" in it, who will do a full session with CD for $225. They are always busy out the door with people. There are also about 10 other major tog's in the area so there is a fair amount of competition among it's 180,000 residents.

If you with established businesses had to start over, how would you do it? Where would you advertise? How would you get the phone to ring? I realize there is no magic pill, but I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Writing this for useful discussion, so please no smart ass answers.

Not an expert in photography business, but for any business, if you are just going to jump into a saturated industry without anything unique to offer, you will find yourself in price war very quickly.

You need to understand a few things. The needs of your market through your unique perspective. You also need to know what it is that you can offer that no one else can. Marry these two in an organic way ( meaning not rigid and being flexible ) and you should be able to create a sustainable business model for yourself.

This needs to be beyond quantifiable things like price and time. It needs to speak to the inner or subconscious needs of your target customers. Perhaps you can start by being very specific with your targeted groups, serving the niche. Like you said, you need to build relationships, strong ones. Identifying the niche is one way, but it isn't sustainable if you only stick to that specific niche.

My parents have their own business in chemical engineering. We are small and we don't have the fancy automated production line. Everything is labor intensive and requires lots of training. Sounds like a bad plan? Not really. The business operates on the model of customization. We don't sell by the formula, but by the batch because every client has difference in needs. We are set up to be flexible and spend a lot of time customizing the batch for them. Our production line is also flexible. Although not the most efficient design, but allows changes to take place to cater for different needs. Also, my dad is the master mind of the products. He creates a niche product and sell it at high margin. By the time our competitors catch on and saturate the market with low-cost version of the same product, he's already moved on to other newer niche products. We will then sell our product trade-mark to other companies because our product has already made a good name on the market.

You are a small business. There is no point seeing yourself as a competitor to bigger franchises. The benefit of being small is flexibility and you need to milk the crap out of it. You cannot afford to resist change. In fact, you need to seize any chance of change. When something doesn't work out, it's not because of others, it starts with you.

Another important thing to think about is, most egoistic business owners will think that people go to them because of what they specialize in. For example, a photographer will think that his clients choose him because of his photographic skills. A chemical company may think people come to them because they make the purest and most stable products. A painter may think his clients think his paintings are great.

They are probably wrong.

Someone may choose a photographer because he thinks the photographer listens to him and make him feel like he has ownership to how the photos turn out.
A chemical buyer may like to buy from a particular source because he knows that they can meet his ever changing demands and get his deliveries on time. Time is more important to him than the quality of the products.
A rich guy may like a particular artist's paintings because they work well as commercial art to be placed in his office lobby, where in fact he has no personal appreciation of the pieces.

These are what I mean by niche. You need to look beyond your products to realize what your REAL product is. No matter what it is, it has to resonate with the client's subconscious needs.

I went to your web site.

You lost me as soon as the music started, but I recommend you lose the black background.

Your web site pretty much looks like every other photographers web site. That's not good.

What kind of business training do you have.

IIRC, I refered you to www.Score.org and www.SBA.gov

What you don't seem to have is any kind of a business plan.

Well that's just it, I did have a business plan, and when we started we said we would rely on FB and other social media marketing. I am looking to expand beyond that and I don't know where a good advertising investment would be.

In regards to the website, a professional design is out of my budget, so I rely on SHOWIT. It is flexible so I will look into a new design. As far as the music goes, I have read surveys and such, and it seems to be that people who mind it, turn it off rather than leave the site. I want to morph my blog into my main source, and my website into my portfolio more or less.

If your original business plan failed, you have to figure out why it failed, and write another business plan. Which is why I referred you to Score and the SBA.

The main goal of a retail photography business is to market/promote the photographer, the service of photography, and the experience of the shoot, not the sitting fee, packages, and CD's.

People probably want photographers who are established, with experience, not just someone who went out and bought some stuff in April. At least, that's what I would consider. Sorry.

.....If you with established businesses had to start over, how would you do it? Where would you advertise? How would you get the phone to ring? I realize there is no magic pill, but I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Writing this for useful discussion, so please no smart ass answers.

One of the things to ask is who do you want as your customer? The exercise here is to paint as precise a picture as you can of your ideal customer - where they live, what do they look like, what are their values, how do they dress, where do they eat, etc. If your focus is on the business side, then similar questions about the type of business that is your ideal customer.

Then, what can you do for them that no-one can/is willing to do (ie, what's your niche)? It doesn't have to be just photography. There's lots to be said for the whole "customer experience", which starts when they see an advertisement of yours, and ends with post-sale followup. If you're not supplying a commodity, then price is less of an issue.

To reach these ideal customers, you need to think as your customer - if you had the need (that you're fulfilling), how would you go about finding the person or company that would supply that service? What event or need would push you to action? Switching hats, as the provider of the service, you need to make it easy for your customer to find you at the moment they are feeling that need.

Once they find you, how do you make them WANT to do business with you and no-one else? The answer there depends on who your ideal customer is.

The point of this is to find yourself a well-defined (at least by you) and large enough pool of desirable clients to whom you will market exclusively. It is not an easy exercise.

So I'm new here. I'm just getting into the business. I just had a few suggestions.
You have beautiful pictures. I would like to see them bigger! When I click on one it's kind of small and off to the side. I want it right there in the middle of the screen and at a size where I can really see the details of the image. I also agree with the music thing. Not because it bugs me(it does not) but because there are people out there that it DOES bother. If you want to expand you client reach than I would think that the music should go. Simply because it could cause you to lose clients.
I think facebook is a great way to spread the word about your business. Social networking can be key. Have you thought about branching off into the blog world? You have to be very commited to gathering followers but I know that there can be a huge pay off.
Expanding your business is going to cost money. Going with a more expensive (if needed) wed host may be what you have to do. It needs to be fast...picture loading can't be slow. America is full of 'RIGHT NOW' people. I know personally I am not computer savy or web savy so hiring someone to do it for me pays off. Or maybe if you know someone who can give you a break...family, friends. I think your off to a great start.

your website doesn't seem to work properly with Chrome... The pictures in the portfolio display behind the background image.

Your site is lovely. I will say however you need to cull your photos a bit. While some photos may be a kind memory to you, they also might not work well with the general public.
I have that same problem. I have my fave photos, and I know what is happening in a photo, but no everyone else will. Have your friends help you cull.

Your work is good and the clients will come. Pimp the hell out of yourself on the net. Walk the pavement and shake hands.

So many people wrongly assume it's just a matter of good photography and a website.

Honestly you know nothing about business.

You need to find more services to advertise your studio. Maybe do some gallery shows with local galleries. Network, network, network!!!!! and I mean everyday. work as hard as you did to get that first girl into bed! seriously. be diligent.

also remember there are two ways to do business:

you can be the cheapest

or

you can have better quality.

you will lose your ass if you try to be the cheapest so sell the quality and be able to back it up. it not only has to be good but consistent.

also you need to find your niche. what type of photography do you do? who is your target market? find out how to get to them. where are they?

also give out business cards to everyone you meet and make sure it features your work on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back