So, I'm switching it up already... sold my camera

I'm sorry that I didn't fall over and overwhelmingly endorse you throwing cash at a problem.
I don't recall asking for your endorsement or anyone elses, however I do recall asking for an opinion as to which camera would be better (50D, D90, D300, etc.). If I was looking for your approval I would have PM'ed you.

By all means though, assume everyone who cautions against your line of thinking (which is a bit faulty) is personally attacking you or denigrating you and get butthurt about it.
If your intent was to offer some friendly advice, why did you preface your post with "I don't mean to be a dick" then proceed to talk to me as if I were 10 years old? You knew full well your post was going to be inflammatory, and now you want to play sophomoric internet games.

It is your money, but when you post what you are doing with YOUR money in a public forum, expect some folks to say "Hey what a minute."
You don't play the victim role so well, you're far better at being the dick. If all you said was "hey man, think about it this way" we wouldn't be having this conversation. Note that other posters did offer friendly advice regarding my rationale and I didn't respond to them negatively, did I?

Already folks have come forward and said "the problem isn't megapixels" - its your choice whether or not you validate the opinions of those who don't validate your purchase. ROck on brotha!
Got it. The problem is, if you care to read (reading comprehension) you'll discover I had already sold my camera and mentioned this in the very first post. I don't need a recap of what I should have done, I was asking for an opinion on equipment going forward.

Even if I had asked for an opinion about what to do chances are I would have gone for the 50D anyway. It's been driving me nuts since I left the store with the 40D. I don't expect you to understand, or pretend to understand.

In the end, yes I would say if you are upsampling 40% crops of an original image and it is coming out "pixelated", then you are doing something wrong; whether that is not compossing properly in the first place and instead of working on that tossing megapixels at it, or you just dont have that good a familiarity with Photoshop or whatever editing program.
I got it, crystal clear. As noted I will further investigate my pixelation problems with my new 50D. I'm sure I'll figure it all out given time.

tharmsen, did you only have the Canon kit lens with the 40D ?

If so, I would suggest that you invest in another lens ... such as a wide to long focal length zoom.
ie 18-200mm
I think that there is a kit with that lens.

Damn.... forgot to hit on the "huge" increase in megapixels. A 3MP increase is insignificant.

Sorry if I get the models mixed up, but I believe you are only talking of a 20% increase rather than a 50% increase. Regardless.... as others have stated, you should be able to get a very good print from a camera with half the resolution you had at hand. GLASS.....GLASS.....GLASS.....

BTW... if you work on composition, the need to crop heavily will be reduced, yeilding less degradation in your reults.
Yeah, I'm going to get a body only and picking up a 24-105mm f/4 IS USM lens vs. the kit lens (28-135mm). I'll probably pick up something like a 70-200mm f/4 IS USM lens as well. Then I'll pick up a cheap 50mm prime and call it a day. That should get me through for a while, what do you think?

And yes, I know I need to work on my composition... that I've known since day 1. :lol:

tharmsen, did you only have the Canon kit lens with the 40D ?

If so, I would suggest that you invest in another lens ... such as a wide to long focal length zoom.
ie 18-200mm
I think that there is a kit with that lens.
Is that a really good lens or is it just a marginal kit lens? I'm thinking of just spending the money and getting a L lens in that range (see my post above).

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I'm going to get a body only and picking up a 24-105mm f/4 IS USM lens vs. the kit lens (28-135mm). I'll probably pick up something like a 70-200mm f/4 IS USM lens as well. Then I'll pick up a cheap 50mm prime and call it a day. That should get me through for a while, what do you think?

And yes, I know I need to work on my composition... that I've known since day 1. :lol:
Seems like your going to do a lot of overlapping with your lens selection listed. Dont know much about it but Canon has a 18-200mm lens out now. Its not quite as fast as the others but its another option. Or are you talking about the L series 24-105 f4?

Seems like your going to do a lot of overlapping with your lens selection listed. Dont know much about it but Canon has a 18-200mm lens out now. Its not quite as fast as the others but its another option. Or are you talking about the L series 24-105 f4?
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the L series lenses.

The 18-200mm obviously has a varying aperture and I hear they aren't the sharpest lens around. That's why I'm thinking of sticking with L's... just sucking up the price difference to be sure I get glass I'm content with.

You do not shot wide angle ?
I need to keep the lenses down to a reasonable level (number of them). I can probably swing two lenses and not wind up in a divorce. :) I'm open to suggestions as to which two I should consider.

I shoot more portraits (my kid and wife) and a lot of city-scape type shots. I'm more inclined to take pics of cars, buildings, signs, bridges, houses, stuff like that... I like going on treks on the weekends for a couple of hours looking for things to shoot.

I don't recall asking for your endorsement or anyone elses

As I said, this is a public forum, and as such people are free - whether you like it or not - to voice their opinion. I wrote "Not to be a dick. . ." to spare you the butthurtedness that inevitably follows when someone doesn't endorse another someone wildly riding on that Euphoria Horse all the way to the store. If you were somehow able to turn that into a personal denigration, then brotha thats all on you.

You knew full well your post was going to be inflammatory, and now you want to play sophomoric internet games.

It's inflammatory to say "The problem isn't the camera, its what you are doing"? Christ Almighty well there we go.

You don't play the victim role so well

No victim here. I have no problem standing behind the comments I make. This is a learning forum, and HOPEFULLY someone who sees this episode will think twice before throwing the baby out with the bath water. Trust, nowhere will you find me soliciting mea culpas or trying to soften/harden any tone I have had.

I was asking for an opinion on equipment going forward.

The recommendation was implicit - get the same camera.

I don't expect you to understand, or pretend to understand.

As if you're the first person to have camera envy. Right.

Still, its your money. I suspect you'll still be chasing that "perfect picture" and we'll be seeing you solicit recommendations on pro "L" glass in no time (as the sub-1000 lenses just aren't cutting it).

Such is life. . .

Dude, don't get such a hard on with ANDS!. The guy knows some $hit. Apply the brake and digest the intent. Too many of us will eagerly spend your money, but only a handful will make you re-consider and possibly save you a few bucks to get similar or improved results.

If your sticking with the L Series then look at the 24-105 and the nifty fifty from what I have seen and remember of your photos they should do you well. Also witha new baby your going to that 50mm for shooting in low light.

I decided this week to sell my new 40D. The reason was mostly centered around my discovery that my wife (and even myself) want to do more 8x10 prints and perhaps bigger.

I had a pic I took of the Chicago L that I cropped and wanted to print as an 8x10. While it turned out ok, it's obvious that it's pixelated. It's not as sharp as I would like...

A. You need to learn how to shoot better, equipment doesn't fix that.

B. You need to learn how to print better.

2, or 5 MP at those kind of resolutions isn't going to change jack. I completely agree with ANDS!

i dont understand even comin close to putting strain on your marriage for a hobby. Seems kind of selfish and like your priorities are kind of messed up. Christmas is only a month gone, whats changed in a month that you can drop more money for a body upgrade and L lenses, when just a month ago you "settled" on the d40 to compromise so that you can have a xmas..

i honestly dont see a solid path in your rationale.

It's all said and done, and in either case i could care less what you do with your own money...its yours and you earned it, and you can spend it however you like...but I'm just trying to understand the thought process. especially in this economy, i cant fathom losing more money than i have to.

The last thing I would test limits w/ is my marriage...no hobby is worth that.

The last thing I would test limits w/ is my marriage...no hobby is worth that.
Most of those comments have been made tongue in cheek. My wife totally supports my hobbies, to a point. I don't cross that point. Trust me, photography isn't my most expensive hobby. But I do have to be somewhat sensitive to her requests. She thought the 40D was fine, I capitulated and now I've decided it was the wrong decision for me. Probably not the wisest decision I've made, but fortunately the cost is relatively insignificant. If only other mistakes in life only cost me a couple hundred bucks. :)

Most reactions

Back