So nervous I'm shaking!

Why just not charge something that reflects her experience? She doesn't need to make much, but some sort of symbolic amount of money to show that it isn't charity nor professional work.

In my own humble opinion, getting experience out of the deal should not be the major wage. Experience is nice on a personal level and as an "added bonus", but I wouldn't be happy knowing that hours of work only gave me experience. Again, the OP can charge something that reflects her level of experience. And unless there's a contract of sorts, she can't be sued. And if there is a contract, just make sure not to sign something that you know you aren't able to follow quality-wise.

So since she has no experience, charge nothing? 2 cents? ;)\

$7.45

OP: I find this type of photography to be the easiest! Mostly because there are no poses, and quite simply you just want wide, clean, well lit shots that show of a space. No creative DOF required, no dramatic lighting, just get it even and wide.
I would also do some pano captures; shoot in circle (overlapping), so you capture many shots of a single area, then stitch them together in PS to get an Ultra Wide effect with even your kit lens.

Last edited:
I would give a few hours of my time to get some awesome shots with a model that I can use in my portfolio. That's just me though since i'm trying to build a portfolio.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just great!

I agree with everyone. Dont charge until you are ready, but then again don't not charge and let people take advantage of you. Just be clear with your "friend" to NOT tell his other realtor buddies so and so took my photos for free.... This needs to be known to him or believe me, he will bragging saying oh look at these great pictures for FREE.
WHAT A DAY! Thanks, the real estate photo session went really good, I am confident in my work. OMG, his original pics he tried to take with his broken flash on his camera were awful (Bless his heart)! The chandelier had lights blurring together.....I totally cringed. Anyway, I am not ready to start charging yet and he is a VERY good friend of mine and also to my family so I did this as a favor. He offered to pay, but I did not accept. This was just a little 900 sq ft condo. Anyway, won't be on here much for a few days. Last part of the day was spent in ER, my 10 year old son fell off a fence and broke his lower right arm playing outside. Has to go in the morning to have a cast put on. :( I will try to respond more when I can..................

Are you doing this for free?

WHY?????? I know you do not have experience and all but still, you will NEVER get out of the circle of free.... IMO, if they are going to use the photos to make MONEY they need to compensate you as well....

They could compensate her with name recognition. It would not be wise to monetize her photography this early on in her photographic understanding. It would probably lead to a lawsuit. Just sayin'.

gag... I hate the "you will get great exposure/free advertising" line..... I just think it is wrong, to use her pictures for profit without compensating her.... Been there/done that and I can tell you it will NOT lead to more business... you will be the chic that did the pictures for free for so and so...

Absolutely correct. Also anyone will tell you you'll get free exposure to close the free deal.
I am considering "likes" on my Facebook page referenced to the free shoot I did as a way to keep the shoot free or they will pay. Or maybe full charge and refund a certain amount for so many liking my Facebook page. This way you can quantify that "free exposure".

Considering it's a friend asking a favor, I think you did the right thing. As long as he doesn't go around telling all his buddies you're a cut-rate RE photographer....

This is going to be so much fun! Your challenge as a photographer is to take wonderful shots as if the condo is "super beautiful". Tough but interesting! Enjoy shooting and build your brand =).

luvmyfamily said:
WHAT A DAY! Thanks, the real estate photo session went really good, I am confident in my work. OMG, his original pics he tried to take with his broken flash on his camera were awful (Bless his heart)! The chandelier had lights blurring together.....I totally cringed. Anyway, I am not ready to start charging yet and he is a VERY good friend of mine and also to my family so I did this as a favor. He offered to pay, but I did not accept. This was just a little 900 sq ft condo. Anyway, won't be on here much for a few days. Last part of the day was spent in ER, my 10 year old son fell off a fence and broke his lower right arm playing outside. Has to go in the morning to have a cast put on. :( I will try to respond more when I can..................

Wow I hope your son is OK? Keep us updated.

Most reactions

Back