So what is the big idea with two card slots

GeorgieGirl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And what are the benefits to two different type slots?

One card fails, you don't lose all your pics.

Back-up?

Write to two cards so that if one fails you still have the other...?

Overflow, backup, more space, separate videos and pictures, one card for RAW other for JPG... Etc.

Here's another question. What's the significance of having two different card slots, like CF and SD?

I think for most users, they will tend to stick to just one type to make assortment easier. My guess is when you have two different slots, one of them will end up not being used at all, hence wasting space in the camera.

If they were different types (CF vs. SD), what Dorksterr said makes the most sense to me. RAW on one JPG on the other, photos on one video on the other, etc... Either that, or just giving you the option to use whichever card you already have (like if you already have a bunch of CF cards and don't want to buy a SD card). In the later case - yeah, one of the slots would not be getting used much.

Personally, if I had a camera with two slots, I would want them to take the same media type...

What if you buy a new camera.. and buy a high-end CF card for it for maximum performance. But you have a lot of SD's that you use in your second body (when you use it)? Let's say you fill up the CF card... No big deal, stick a SD in and keep on shooting!

So no one really knows why....

Options. Cf cards are expensive but less likely to currupt. Sd cards are cheap.

How can you not see the point. It gives you options to use what card you want

matthewo said:
Options. Cf cards are expensive but less likely to currupt. Sd cards are cheap.

How can you not see the point. It gives you options to use what card you want

So for Canons before, for example... Like the 7D that uses a CF card.... There is a bene to using a SD card in a dual slot that breaks down more often than a CF card.

I feel like I'm using a compact camera card on a big girl camera....

There is another good reason for dual card slots that no one mentioned. It's especially useful for we senior citizens with short memories.:lol: Many times I will stick my SD card into my laptop download my images, post process the ones I intend to keep then go about doing something else completely forgetting my SD card is in my computer. I'd hate to drive ten to twelve miles to a forest preserve only to find I don't have a card in the camera. I don't shoot video but if I start I would want the video on a separate card. Many reasons have been given in the other replies and they are all good ones.

Jerry

I would think it to be beneficial to pro sports shooter who are shooting at 10fps quite often.

Most reactions

Back