So what is the big idea with two card slots

It's for backup...that's the reason. The first reply and many others knew why.

Let's look at which cameras have the duel card slots. It's the highest level DSLR cameras...which are tools for professional photographers....who's livelihood depends on getting their images captured and safely moved on.
So the two card slots aren't for those who are forgetful, or those who are trying to save a few bucks with cheaper cards....they are for redundancy.

Mike I just closed a window on a site that outlined three reasons

1. Speed
2. Redundancy
3. Buffers

Also competing formats/convenience. So there is not one reason or even two. Without knowing how each slot rolls over in specific bodies, or if they do and as it relates to the new specs on the Canon 5D III, I do not follow the logic of two different card types, for any reason at this point in time of this body's evolution

None of the reasons point to an answer on that either.

I've never used the CF card slot but I would think that it's actually make for most pros since they prefer CF cards and have a SD card in helps, besides back up, to make it easy to share out in the field since its most likely there's SD card readers around.

I *think* the reason for different card types...is mainly for space. Two CF card slots take up a lot more room than one CF and one SD. Also, being able to use either type of card, is a good option to have, if you find yourself in a memory card emergency.

as it relates to the new specs on the Canon 5D III, I do not follow the logic of two different card types, for any reason at this point in time of this body's evolution
Are they saying that the 5DIII will have two slots?
That does make sense to me. The 5D series is a favorite of wedding shooters....and redundancy can be very important for wedding photographers.
I sometimes work with a fantastic, high end photographer around here. His main wedding camera is a 1DsmkIII and he says that he mainly uses that body because of the duel slots. When he's shooting portraits or something that can't easily be redone if needed, he prefers a 40D.

Mike- Yes, so far it is saying dual slots a CF and an SD. Its funny when you are so programmed for only one card for an entire lifetime to open the mind for two.

Well, if you second shoot, you give the main shooter the 2nd card. I find it annoying not being able to see my shots until a few days after the main shooter download them. That and backup if one card fails.

....I only have an SD in my pocket cam...so an SD holds the same amount as a CF? I have to not be lazy and look into this so I know....

I have a couple of 32 GB SD's that I use in my D7000. I run them in Backup Mode.. where each card gets the shot as I shoot it. As mentioned.. if one card fails, I have the other! I know the D4 is going to have XQD and SD... CF (and XQD?) are a lot faster and more reliable, but SD is still very popular... so it will go both ways. Have to see if the dual card copy will work there (adequately fast).... don't know yet!

Last edited:
....I only have an SD in my pocket cam...so an SD holds the same amount as a CF? I have to not be lazy and look into this so I know....

YOu can find Class 10 SD cards that hold 32GB for around 30-40 bucks.

I don't know if you are aware, but the way the slots 'roll over' is configurable in the menu. The options are as everyone has stated; duplicate, overflow, RAW on one JPEG on other, etc. I believe the reason for different card types has to do with backwards compatibility and changing digital media storage, in a sense. Take for instance the new D4; it uses SD and the new XQD cards. Nikon probably realized that not everyone was going to rush out and buy the new uber-expensive digital storage format that is likely not compatible with any other camera at this time, so they kept SD for those that wouldn't. The move to QXD would also allow those willing to take the leap to take advantage of the new speeds the QXD cards offer (SD Cards are up to 120MB/s, CF is up to 167MB/s, XQD is up to 500MB/s). It's about options and compatibility.

Last edited:
I don't know if you are aware, but the way the slots 'roll over' is configurable in the menu. The options are as everyone has stated; duplicate, overflow, RAW on one JPEG on other, etc. I believe the reason for different card types has to do with backwards compatibility and changing digital media storage, in a sense. Take for instance the new D4; it uses SD and the new XQD cards. Nikon probably realized that not everyone was going to rush out and buy the new uber-expensive digital storage format that is likely not compatible with any other camera at this time, so they kept SD for those that wouldn't. The move to QXD would also allow those willing to take the leap to take advantage of the new speeds the QXD cards offer (SD Cards are up to 120MB/s, CF is up to 167MB/s, XQD is up to 500MB/s). It's about options and compatibility.

Thank You!!!

Thank You to everyone else too. I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

It's so when the the good looking lady in the bar you've been snapping pictures of comes over with a group and tells you to delete the pictures or her boyfriend will pull out a can of whoop azz on you, you can delete to make her happy but still have all your pictues. :lmao:

Last edited:
It's so when the the good looking lady in the bar you've been snapping pictures of comes over with a group and tells you to delete the pictures or her boyfriend will pull out a can of whoop azz on you, you can delete to make her happy but still have all your pictues. :lmao:

There we go...That's the one that we were waitng for!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back