So you want to use my picture for free?

Just a thought; instead of 50 dead presidents, how about payment via a bottle or two of that high-class hootch?

Regardless of WHAT is is.....if a Pro Anything cannot absorb 50 bux to get their job done, there is a problem.
You did the right thing OP.
Can you imagine going to a mechanic, and they cannot fix your transmission... because They Would Not Pay For A 50 Dollar Tool.?

Regardless of WHAT is is.....if a Pro Anything cannot absorb 50 bux to get their job done, there is a problem.
Can you imagine going to a mechanic, and they cannot fix your transmission... because They Would Not Pay For A 50 Dollar Tool.?

Customer: "Can you fix my car?" Mechanic: "Sure, but it will cost $800" Customer: "First of all, your a great mechanic! Would you like me to put your name and number on my car window so when I travel, you get free promotion instead? Could be a big opportunity for you."

That was pretty much the extent of my email. Lol.

[
So...

you're a staff member? Wow. Really?

Really. I've seen his badge and everything. They don't let them carry guns anymore.. not since that whole incident with tirediron and that bus full of nuns. It was a total misunderstanding but well.. were really not supposed to talk about it.

If becoming a staff member here is like getting into the police...

Google

I understand your response better.

I'm afraid I'm not understanding yours I guess. Not seeing where you are getting this analogy, it's not like pix pulled the "I'm a staff member card" here. He expressed an opinion - one that differed from yours.

1/ Maybe you should learn to read so you could understand what I said better.

Wow. Classy. Maybe you should learn to explain things better, or be willing to clarify your position if you didn't make it clear. You know, rather than just hurling around childish insults.

2/ Maybe you should take the time to read my different posts, especially my intoduction, which would have helped you not say something totally stupid.

True.. I find it very helpful to do an in depth psychological profile on everyone before responding to them. Sadly though I have this thing called a "Day Job".

Customer: "Can you fix my car?" Mechanic: "Sure, but it will cost $800" Customer: "First of all, your a great mechanic! Would you like me to put your name and number on my car window so when I travel, you get free promotion instead? Could be a big opportunity for you."

no it's not.

not even close.

if you think that's how it is, no wonder you're acting the way you are about it.

it's more like this:

mechanic is making a promo for his business, he likes a picture you took that he happened to stumble upon and reached out to you because he thought it would be nice to use in his ad.

He asks: Hey, can I use your picture on a $20 oil change promo I'm doing.

You say: Sure, for $50.

He says: I cant swing that, is photo credit not enough? I have lots of customers with nice cars that might want a picture of them.

You still decline, noting that you'd rather not have the picture you never planned on making money on, not be used whatsoever.

You then post online how it's offensive that someone wanted to use your photo out of the blue and not pay for usage.

Last edited:

no it's not.

not even close.

if you think that's how it is, no wonder you're acting the way you are about it.

it's more like this:

mechanic is making a promo for his business, he likes a picture you took that he happened to stumble upon and reached out to you because he thought it would be nice to use in his ad.

He says: I cant swing that, is photo credit not enough? I have lots of customers with nice cars that might want a picture of them.

You still decline, noting that you'd rather not have the picture you never planned on making money on, not be used whatsoever.

You then post online how it's offensive that someone wanted to use your photo out of the blue and not pay for usage.

So what do you want me to do? Let them use my picture for free without any credit? Because they didn't offer NO MONEY or CREDIT. I had to ask for it. I don't want their stupid credit to help promote a business I do not have to wineries that I have no interest in. They wanted to print my photo 100 times on 5x7 cards and then make digital version and pass it around via email. I'm sorry that I decided $50 reasonable, but I'm guess I'm wrong. I'll be sure to these things for free now on. Thanks.

A rather poor analogy.

I doubt the participants of those vinofest will give one hoot about where the image came from or whether he ponied up fifty bucks for it.

And the wine tasting shindig went on without the OPs image.

The analogy would be...... do you care if your mechanic used a $2 wrench he bought at a garage sale or a $59 one he bought off the Snap-On truck? Either way, your transmission got fixed and you drove to the wine tasting event.

I get the argument that the image is doing no good by just sitting around. But OP is not a professional photographer. He does not need nor want the publicity. There might be some argument here if the OP were a professional looking for publicity. But OP is an accountant, or IT guy, or HR person, or professional circus animal trainer or whatever OP does for a living. He doesn't need the publicity and wouldn't do him much good.

But even then, what is the likelihood that a potential client would look at a photograph tagline and then go out of his or her way to contact you, because they "liked that image"? Good pictures are a dime a dozen. We're inundated by them. It seems very unlikely that someone would say "woweee! that photo of that vineyard is so cool, I think i'll hire HIM to do my wedding!"

When has that *ever* happened?

Bottom line is the OP did the right thing for his situation.
Weird thread.
The backward, bourgeois, attitudes of some members has been enlightening.
Surprised at a few of the responses. I can see some of you guys download music and movies for free. :)
Have A Good Day

Giving away images does devalue them. Some uses will demand exclusivity, or in the very least, freshness. If the image is familiar to another campaign, then a designer will be less inclined to want to use it. You have to at least recover the likelihood of this.

I have a couple particular image that I am very protective of, and would be unlikely to license on a royalty-free basis, let alone just give away in exchange for pats on the back. There are others which I would probably license for even less than $50, provided that credit is given depending on how the image is used.

Every image has to be evaluated on an individual basis with a realistic expectation of market value. But, I can't really think of any time that just giving them away would be appropriate, aside from as a donation to a charity that you support - but that's a different thing entirely.

no it's not.

not even close.

it's more like this:

Here's the problem tho...
You give the impression that because the picture us just sitting there with no plans for making money that it has no value. Who cares what the picture is doing? How is that relevant? The OP wanted to be paid for the work he put Into the photo and did not want "photo credit" in leu of monetary compensation. Why Is it wrong for the person who took the photo to want to decide how they are paid for it?

Thank god the mechanic isn't going to charge us more to work on our primary vehicle!

Hemi engines are expensive enough to maintain!

I had this in my flickr inbox the other day:

Hi,

Your photo of Mount Fuji is incredible! I was wondering if you would be so kind to e-mail me the digital file? I would love to blow this up and put it on my wall.

Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks,

I responded by asking him if he wished to purchase a print or purchase a download, and he said he didn't realise there would be a cost involved...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back