What's new

Sodium Bike

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
237
Location
Cincinnati OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went out the other night and took some shots in the dark. I wasn't particularly fond of much but I did like these two.

I learned an important lesson though. When you are as close to your subject as I am you really have to stop down more than you think to get everything in focus.

In my mind's eye (which has a lot to learn) I saw the entire bike frame sharp. However, I really needed to stop down more to make it happen.

Well anyway...here they are for your viewing pleasure:

#1:



Bicycle_1-1 by JChick526, on Flickr




#2:



Bicycle_2-1 by JChick526, on Flickr



Thanks for looking,

Joe
 
If you shot in raw I'd like to see it with the white balance fixed.
 
pretty much this ^ with the WB off so much it is pretty rough IMHO. Good eye on the picture, but the PP is rough.
 
I did shoot it raw. It was lit by those Sodium lights which gave it the crazy orange yellow color.

I did very little processing.
 
I like both of them ...I would kick the contrast just a bit and tone the background circle light way down. I like the overall rusty orange color.
 
I like both of them ...I would kick the contrast just a bit and tone the background circle light way down. I like the overall rusty orange color.


Thanks man.
 
people asking to 'fix' the white balance when thats the look he was going for haha oh dear
 
I tried to "fix" white balance b/c I'm always up for suggestions and it really didn't look good.

I was planning on posting the edit but it really looked flat and bad so I didn't.
 
I absolutely adore dark orange and light brown sepia-ish shades in photos! Maybe if you did kick the contrast up, it'd look like the bike is made of a more shiny material like copper? (I'm just a newbie to photography, just adding my two-cents' worth :) )
 
Thanks for the nice words. I'll up the contrast and post them.
 
I, too, like the orange color as it sets a "mood" here. I like the first one the best, but I agree that it would have been enhanced to have the whole bike in focus.
By the way, your first sentence made me laugh, because I thought, "Heck, MOST of my photography is a shot in the dark!" :D
 
I guess what I really meant was nighttime...but it is totally appropriate in that context as well.

And yeah I wish the whole bike was sharp...but that's how you learn.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom