Soft Squirrels!

Nintendoeats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out shooting squirrels a couple days ago with my 55-200 lens. I'm not entirely sure about them, there seems to be a great deal of softness pretty much everywhere (and possibly some chromatic aberration as well). I was shooting at high speeds (1600+) so I don't think it's motion blur. But hey, squirrels!

They’re not bad. Are you attempting to crop them and coming up short? If these were with the Nikon 55-200 I am not surprised. Not a bad lens in good light but definitely not something that you can reliably use for wildlife.

They’re not bad. Are you attempting to crop them and coming up short? If these were with the Nikon 55-200 I am not surprised. Not a bad lens in good light but definitely not something that you can reliably use for wildlife.

If by that you mean I am hitting the 200mm limit, then yes. Is it the short ultimate focal length that makes it poor for wildlife?

I agree, not bad. What's your shutter speed? You could be getting a bit of motion blSQUIRRELL!!

Ohh that fast, can't be motion. How much are they cropped? Other things would be nailing a single focus point, and getting the best exposure you can. I'm going through the quest for sharpness with my D5100 right now, so I've been trying everything.

Test your lens at different aperture and focal length, find the sharpest range. Maybe it is a lot sharper at 180mm than 200mm.

You could get your speeds closer to 1/1000, that should be good enough, and give you more room on aperture and ISO.

Don't know if the D5200 has the same af module, but on my 5100, it isn't stellar, often takes me several shots and re-focus to get a good focus lock.

Ohh that fast, can't be motion. How much are they cropped? Other things would be nailing a single focus point, and getting the best exposure you can. I'm going through the quest for sharpness with my D5100 right now, so I've been trying everything.

Test your lens at different aperture and focal length, find the sharpest range. Maybe it is a lot sharper at 180mm than 200mm.

You could get your speeds closer to 1/1000, that should be good enough, and give you more room on aperture and ISO.

Don't know if the D5200 has the same af module, but on my 5100, it isn't stellar, often takes me several shots and re-focus to get a good focus lock.

When you say cropped do you mean focal length or post-processing? if the former 200mm, if the latter not at all.

I'll try a slower shutter and have a go at some test shots to see if it improves at shorter lengths, thanks.

Most reactions

Back