Softbox reflections on plate

OK and now down to some nitty and gritty stuff.

And thanks for the patience?

I am an aspiring food photographer.

Two questions about the attached which was shot with bounced light from the ceiling.

1) Lighting changes that you would make to make the food look attractive(interesting
iso.jpg
bounced light.JPG

2) Should I raise the ISO to 200?

Am taking advice that I need to understand the basics before taking shots with lots of food and colors.

Michael

Given it's a static subject (and hopefully you're using a tripod), I'd leave the ISO alone and use a smaller aperture (say, f/11) and longer shutter speed (1.3 seconds in this case).

Then, in post, reset the black & white points (the histogram is pretty much centered) and put a little S into the curve. Result:

bounced%20light.jpg

This makes the two lights you're using a bit more visible (along with yourself), but if the bowl is going to be filled with food, that will be a moot point.

Depending on the food itself and your desired results, it may require an increase in saturation.

This photo has a (magenta?) hue on the inside of the plate on the internet but it isn't there when I view it in LR.

Any ideas?.........

Use a custom white balance for your lighting, and calibrate your monitor.

Had to delete post from a few moments ago because of multiple images.

Something which seems odd to me. because I'm still learning.
This photo has a (magenta?) hue on the inside of the plate on the internet but it isn't there when I view it in LR.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have added a screen grab from LR
Sweet-Potato-Broccoli-Curry.JPG

screen grab.jpg

My stomach is not strong enough to bear colors that are off so much.

Light quality is not a linear value measured in Kelvin. Light quality is about spectral response of subjects and eyes.

If you do not see it immediately, put a test chart there and calibrate the RAW outout.

You have been given good advice regarding several different ways to solve this issue. But it seems some lighting Basics are being ignored. Specifically the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. What I do not understand is why you are mixing softboxes and daylight in this way.

The way to shoot simple product photography is to establish the props and set the camera up for the desired point of view. You know the cookbook layout needed so set the camera for that. Then while you look through the camera or at the rear LCD, have an assistant move the supplementary lights through an arc or range of motion where the camera does not see these two, tiny softbox highlights

As has been mentioned above, the soft boxes are simply far , far too small and placed at the wrong angle to create anything that is appealing. This test setup makes no sense at all. Imagine vegetables: do you want highlights on the back of the bowl, or on the vegetables? Again this is a mixture of daylight for the main light and 2 small soft boxes which are so small that their reflection does not cover even the size of a bowl. This is a fundamentally flawed way to use lighting tools. Where these highlights fall will do nothing to make the food look better, it will only show highlights on The Bowl's edge.

I think the book Light, Science, Magic would be a great place to start, just to see professional lighting strategies, tools, and techniques in use. I've been around lighting for 35 plus years so maybe this sounds harsh but your approach is just so far off the mark I don't get it. But I do want to emphasize one thing: until you understand the basics of incidence and reflection, and size of light in relation to size of object you will have many problems,and the easiest way to get progress is to set the camera up,stand behind the camera and have an assistant move the lights through multiple arcs and multiple ranges so you can literally stand there and see what the camera sees. This is one easy way you will learn lighting: you need to stay at the camera and have the lights moved for you and watch, carefully, where the light goes, and where the reflections show up.

Why does your photo show the reflections of the front of two small softboxes along the edge of the SoupnBowl? Answer: the soft boxes are small and they are placed in the wrong position in relation to the bowl and in relation to the camera. Simple.

OK - so this is a LR export problem.

If I export original size then the color looks correct but if I reduce the size then the colors get changed.

Same photo exported from LR and no obvious presets added.

Any ideas or experience of that?

Thanks

lr size reduction.jpg

Strobist.blogspot.com

Buy equipment that fixes (your) needs. These posts are all fullnof the same advice, get bigger/ better modifiers
, practice, read a book etc

Watch the rims, there ahould be a solid line where the ( curry?) goes around the bowl. Whatever that bowl is full of unfortunately it is not photogenic IMO.

Try an antiquey bowl with color and texture, that seems to be the trend not pure white. That may help distract from your technique.

Good luck.

I just reduced the photo size in PS and it looks like what I see in LR

So LR is changing the color when I reduce the size.

Attachments

• reduced in ps.jpg
    reduced in ps.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 131
No. I can assure you that lighting is the problem. You got a shipload of great advice, but there seems to be a bug in your listening department.

I have a white translucent shower curtain that I put between the lights and subject.....good diffuser....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back