Software

Ash Telecaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I have a decent camera and some decent lenses and I'm learning how to work my camera. Do I need software? What software should I consider and what will I use it for?

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowlege!

The only software you should need is a good photo editing program. I recommend Lightroom, Photoshop those of which you will have to pay for. I use Gimp and Photoshop express those of which are free. If you are just getting started i recommend Gimp but i know there will be alot of other options that will work aswell but this is what i use and it works for me.

P.s If you have the money buy Adobe Photoshop and/or Lightroom

Thanks Raw,

You've been answering a lot of my questions. I appreciate it!

What camera do you have ?
Many manufacturers have some sort of basic editing software they offer for their cameras.
... and what level of processing do you want to do ?

Many manufacturers have some sort of basic editing software they offer for their cameras.

I have a Canon M50. Not sure what the software buys me. I supposed I could get artistically creative with it but at this point I'm mostly interested in practical uses.

That's the crux of my question, what are the common things I would use software for? I know cropping for certain but what about contrast or color correction, etc?

I have a Canon M50. Not sure what the software buys me. I supposed I could get artistically creative with it but at this point I'm mostly interested in practical uses.

That's the crux of my question, what are the common things I would use software for? I know cropping for certain but what about contrast or color correction, etc?

You would most likely use the software for basic editing tasks, Such as cropping, sharpening mask, color balance, saturation, curves, levels, and much more in order to make your photo come out the way you wish. There are lots of videos on Youtube to teach you how to use different editing progams.

Hope this helps.

Another thing, im sure some people here would be happy to edit a couple photos for you just to get the idea then you could learn a little from that. I would be happy to edit a couple photos for you if you want.

Affinity Photo is cheap for a one off price and very good, I use it with Capture one Pro 12.

Photoshop elements is good
Canon do there own raw editing soft called DPP digital photo professional as well as other programs I use a canon 600d but I downloaded my canon software from canon home uk
Hope this helps

Adobe (Lightroom, Photoshop) seems to be the standard all the others aspire to copy. For better or worse they went to a monthly subscription plan. Better because it brought a set of software down to an affordable level for the average photographer, worse because you pay for it every month - like the cable bill. For $9.99/mo you get Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, and some online storage, plus continuous updates.

Capture One Pro 12, is another one that nips at the heels of Adobe, in features. They offer both the perpetual licence at $299 or the monthly subscription for $20/mo.

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop, that sells for $99.99 for a perpetual licence. It handles most all but the advanced editing.

Coral Paintshop 2019 Ultimate, has a Ps feel to it and many features that mimic Ps. It sells for $49.99 for a perpetual licence. I've used this one before and found it to be very advanced. However it had a problem with stability that would cause it to crash unexpectedly. Not sure if that's been fixed yet.

Have no experience with Affinity but there are a few on here that seem to like it. It also sells for $49.99 for a perpetual licence.

As mentioned Gimp is an open source free software. I've heard it's a little difficult to learn, but have no experience, and the manufactures all have free basic software.

One of the values of Adobe are all the 3rd party plugins, presets, profiles, actions and learning videos. Makes the learning a lot easier.

Last edited:
Another thing, im sure some people here would be happy to edit a couple photos for you just to get the idea then you could learn a little from that. I would be happy to edit a couple photos for you if you want.

Thank you, that's a generous offer. I just got the camera. This link is to the first pics I took with it. I don't "need" to enhance them but would be interested to see a sample of the enhancements that you would make.

M50 Maiden Voyage - Jun 2019

Here's some reading for you: class notes.

Joe

Here's some reading for you: class notes.

Joe

Nice! Thanks!

Most reactions

Back