Comparing different cameras, same scene

cowboymug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This tool is great here but unfortunately it doesn't have any of landscapes - does anyone know of something similar online?

Hello and welcome, we are always a little dubious to links out of the blue like this one.

It's the studio shot comparison by dpreview.
I want to buy a camera to shoot landscapes and would love an online resource that compares the same landscape shot with different cameras.

I want to buy a camera to shoot landscapes and would love an online resource that compares the same landscape shot with different cameras.
I know of no particular test like that. The closest test might be the same shot using different lenses on the same camera body.

Most people tend toward using a wide-angle lens for landscape, but IMO, that is not always the best choice. You'll do just as well by finding a good camera within you budget and making the best shots you can with it. One's choice of lens probably has at least as much if not more influence on the outcome of the photograph than the camera.

One thing you can try is flickr. Search on a particular camera model with the word "landscape" after that. Of course, it is not a technical test, it is just showing what that camera can achieve.

For example:
Canon G11 landscape
Nikon D40 landscape
Sony RX10 landscape
Nikon D7200 landscape
Canon 5D landscape
Nikon D850 landscape
Fiji X-t3 landscape
Ricoh GR III landscape

And you may notice, a lot of photos are pretty good even for a point and shoot camera.

Most of the newer cameras are very capable. They record light pretty well. But lenses, however, varies quite a bit. For landscape shots, I'd like to have a lens that have better sharpest across the frame, not just the center.

So for me, if I am going to get a better equipment for landscape photos, I will pay more attention on the lens rather than the camera simply because most of cameras are pretty good already.

Last edited:
With respect to the op, I wouldn’t be looking so much at camera makes as more to glass.

It’s the lenses themselves that you want to look at.

Now if you’re talking different camera types, that’s a horse of a diff. color.
Format sizes, bellows, or even comparing certain kinds of pro end cameras there are specific differences for that.
I don’t want to start a discussion or fight over format sizes here.
But the real focus is the glass. Nikon v. Sony v canon v Minolta, v Konica v Horseman v Mamiya, the camera is simply a dark box.

The glass is where it is at.

What specs make a lens a good one?

Apart from knowing that I want a wide angle lens for photography, not videos, what do I look for when shopping online to tell which is better quality?

Thanks for all the help!

I have to agree with soocom1, the glass quality trumps most everything else. This is true in almost all forms of optics. The most accurate indicator of quality, usually comes down to price.

Thanks for the responses guys and sorry for such a late response! All prices I’ve found are second hand.

CAMERA

As I never use a tripod, I’m guessing image stabilization is important for me (even though most photos will be in good light so can have a fast shutter speed), and will buy a second hand Sony A7II as my camera body for £650.

I agree that hand holding the camera and seeing if I like the feel of it is important. Do most cameras of the same brand tend to feel the same? I won’t have a chance to visit a shop for a couple of weeks, but if I don’t like the Sony feel, my backups are Nikon D750 (£625) or Canon 6D (£500) or 5D Mark II (£369) –but they don’t have image stabilization and are all heavier.

LENS

I’ve been googling, then treating the Dxomark score as a benchmark on how good it is.

I’m still unsure what focal lengh I want – I use my gopro hero 7 a lot which is apparently 16mm, so I’m leaning towards the Sony FE 16-35mm f4 (£789).

Other lenses I’m interested in are Sony FE 12-24mm f4 (£1116) and Sony E 10-18mm f4 (£269). If I were to start at a very cheap lens, to find out what focal length I need, Sony E 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 (£79) could be a good starting point.

Dxomark don’t show all of these lenses for some reason – does anybody know why? Is there a good alternative that can quantify the quality of a lens like Dxomark does?

Finally, this is assuming all Sony E and FE lenses will fit onto the A7II.

Any suggestions on other lenses would be appreciated! Low weight is an aspect I’ve been focusing on also. Thanks :)

Another consideration for landscapes is a stitched panorama. Various software packages make it easy to stitch overlapping photos together to create a single scene. With practice, you won't need a tripod (though it's a good idea).

I held the camera in the store today and I like it!
I plan to buy both the body and lens from Park Cameras - if anybody sees anything wrong with what I'm buying or knows a cheaper place to buy either please let me know!

Body - £499
Lens - £759

Thanks
upload_2019-8-14_15-17-31.gif

Here is a exercise to at least try.
Take your less dominate eye and close your dominate eye. Then look at a scene with your less dominate eye and that's pretty much what the camera will see.

A camera is a camera.
Again, its the glass and technique.

I mentioned in another thread, that I have seen some really great landscapes done on 110 and APS film. And total trash with LF.

Its the photographer, the equipment is the means of delivery.

With respect to the op, I wouldn’t be looking so much at camera makes as more to glass.

So true, especially for landscapes where you are much less likely to make deep crops.

I have an old Canon 30D I got for $50 at Goodwill. It is 8 megapixels. I have three Canon, L series lenses (much more expensive than that 30D). If I slap an L lens on the 30D and take landscapes I get a result comperable to my 24 and 26 megapixel bodies.

I have the camera, but there's some dirt coming out on ALL photos - does this mean I need the lens cleaned (see top right of photo)?

Attachments

• dirt.jpg
    dirt.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 186

Most reactions

New Topics

Back