Comparing different cameras, same scene

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cowboymug, May 17, 2019.

1. cowboymug

cowboymug TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This tool is great here but unfortunately it doesn't have any of landscapes - does anyone know of something similar online?

2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello and welcome, we are always a little dubious to links out of the blue like this one.

3. cowboymug

cowboymug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's the studio shot comparison by dpreview.
    I want to buy a camera to shoot landscapes and would love an online resource that compares the same landscape shot with different cameras.

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I know of no particular test like that. The closest test might be the same shot using different lenses on the same camera body.

Most people tend toward using a wide-angle lens for landscape, but IMO, that is not always the best choice. You'll do just as well by finding a good camera within you budget and making the best shots you can with it. One's choice of lens probably has at least as much if not more influence on the outcome of the photograph than the camera.

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

One thing you can try is flickr. Search on a particular camera model with the word "landscape" after that. Of course, it is not a technical test, it is just showing what that camera can achieve.

For example:
    Canon G11 landscape
    Nikon D40 landscape
    Sony RX10 landscape
    Nikon D7200 landscape
    Canon 5D landscape
    Nikon D850 landscape
    Fiji X-t3 landscape
    Ricoh GR III landscape

And you may notice, a lot of photos are pretty good even for a point and shoot camera.

Most of the newer cameras are very capable. They record light pretty well. But lenses, however, varies quite a bit. For landscape shots, I'd like to have a lens that have better sharpest across the frame, not just the center.

So for me, if I am going to get a better equipment for landscape photos, I will pay more attention on the lens rather than the camera simply because most of cameras are pretty good already.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With respect to the op, I wouldn’t be looking so much at camera makes as more to glass.

It’s the lenses themselves that you want to look at.

Now if you’re talking different camera types, that’s a horse of a diff. color.
    Format sizes, bellows, or even comparing certain kinds of pro end cameras there are specific differences for that.
    I don’t want to start a discussion or fight over format sizes here.
    But the real focus is the glass. Nikon v. Sony v canon v Minolta, v Konica v Horseman v Mamiya, the camera is simply a dark box.

The glass is where it is at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cowboymug

cowboymug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What specs make a lens a good one?

Apart from knowing that I want a wide angle lens for photography, not videos, what do I look for when shopping online to tell which is better quality?

Thanks for all the help!

8. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You might find this site more helpful: Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews

Joe

9. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I have to agree with soocom1, the glass quality trumps most everything else. This is true in almost all forms of optics. The most accurate indicator of quality, usually comes down to price.