Some advice for portrait photos, please..

bambino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

Im just a newbie. Will be getting my first DSLR camera soon (it will probably be either a Canon EOS XS or Canon EOS T1i).

I was told to get a fixed 50mm lens, which (I was told) it is very good to start at portrait pictures, given it allows for wide angle at 1.8

Well, that's all I know and before I go into the shop and get my camera and a 50mm lens, I would like to hear from you, what other lenses might be useful

Im doing this as a hobby, and I think photography will remain a hobby for me. But that doesn't mean it is not important for me!!

So, if you can give me some advice as to what lenses to buy (keep in mind Im somewhat in a budget, so please don't recommend me an "L" lens, they are too expensive for my limited income ;) )

Also, do you know a guide or tutorial for portrait pictures?

I appreciate your time!!

:mrgreen:

Good luck with your purchase. First off, using the 50mm at 1.8 doesn't give wide angles. 50mm is 50mm. If you want wider you have to go less than 50mm which you should also get an 18-55mm. It'll give you wide and some zoom which is great for an all purpose lens.

given it allows for wide angle at 1.8
It gives a wide aperture (pupil in lens), which is why it's a great lens. It does not give a wide angle view.

It should make a nice lens to get you started for shooting portraits. I would also suggest getting the camera with the typical 'kit' lens....the 18-55mm IS. It's not a great lens, but it's a good match for the camera and a good lens to get you started.

given it allows for wide angle at 1.8
It gives a wide aperture (pupil in lens), which is why it's a great lens. It does not give a wide angle view.

It should make a nice lens to get you started for shooting portraits. I would also suggest getting the camera with the typical 'kit' lens....the 18-55mm IS. It's not a great lens, but it's a good match for the camera and a good lens to get you started.

Yes, sorry, you are right, I mean, wide aperture, reducing depth of field, right?

And yes, Eos XS and T1i comes along with 18-55mm IS, I think it is ok.

Do you have any comment about the 18-135 mm IS lens from Canon? There is a kit that includes that lens but I have heard bad references, such as having distorsion and vignetting...

I really don't know

Thanks a lot!!

I don't think that it's any worse than the 18-55mm.

Portraiture is about lighting and posing.

Lens aperture is just one of 4 variables that determine depth-of-field (DOF).

For an introduction to photographic lighting in general, and some specific portraiture lighting chapters, I recommed the inexpensive book: Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition

For posing: The Art of Posing: Techniques for Digital Portrait Photographers (Pro Photo Workshop)

Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers

I take a minimalist approach to lighting portraiture like: Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

Photographic Lighting Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide for Digital Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for portraits, but it is going to be pretty limiting. As a new photographer you will also want the cheap 18-55mm kit lens. Be sure to pick the IS version as not only it is stabilized but also light years ahead in terms of image sharpness.

Portraiture is about lighting and posing.

Lens aperture is just one of 4 variables that determine depth-of-field (DOF).

For an introduction to photographic lighting in general, and some specific portraiture lighting chapters, I recommed the inexpensive book: Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition

For posing: The Art of Posing: Techniques for Digital Portrait Photographers (Pro Photo Workshop)

Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers

I take a minimalist approach to lighting portraiture like: Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

Photographic Lighting Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide for Digital Photographers

Hi, thanks a lot for your time letting me know these links. Those books look great, will take a look! Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back