Some help with lighting and color please.

I would say that is a big improvement already. The shadow under the plate doesn't bother me too much, but you could easily soften it by adding some small pieces of white card to act as reflectors much closer. For work like this, you will often wind up using a number of small reflectors to control individual shadows as opposed to one large one, the way you would in portraiture.

I could buy some small white cards but how do you hold them in place?

Thanks.
Other bits of card, Blue-Tac, whatever you have. Use pieces of foam-core and then cut "stands" for them in the same manner as a desktop picture frame, and attach with hot glue.

With respect to your question on colour temperature and dimmers, yes, it probably will. So what? Correct in post.

Thanks for your help and patience.

I save foam-core from packaging so I can easily make little stands.

So, do I need my big reflector? The white side seems to do next to nothing or nothing at the moment.

We all have different talents but mechanical things are not my forté, if I try to fix even the simplest things in the house I break them ;-)

Michael

So, do I need my big reflector? The white side seems to do next to nothing or nothing at the moment.
If the photograph of your setup is accurate, then I suggest that you move your reflector closer to the dish. It should be about the same distance from your subject as the softbox, if you want about the same amount of light. (There will be losses due to a reflector being less than 100% efficient.)

If the photograph of your setup is accurate, then I suggest that you move your reflector closer to the dish. It should be about the same distance from your subject as the softbox, if you want about the same amount of light. (There will be losses due to a reflector being less than 100% efficient.)

Will try it but will have to light from the left or right and not from the back. From the back I wouldn't have anywhere to photograph from.

Unless I move the reflector a little to the side.

Will try your suggestion, thanks ..

Most reactions

Back