Some interesting information..... Focus related

PNWSGM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a camera store with a buddy today who is looking at getting the D300S. We were talking to the general manager of the store who seemed like he was pretty knowledgeable and knew what he was talking about. We started talking about the focusing systems on Nikon vs. Sony cameras and how they are when focusing on moving objects (As me and my buddy shoot a lot of Autosports such as drifting) and he said that Nikon has the BEST focusing system out on the market.

I then asked him how it compared to Canon, and this is where the conversation got interesting. He said that the Canon system is only really good at focusing on objects that are moving at up to 30MPH, and that the Nikon system is rated at focusing on objects moving up to..... wait for it.... 150MPH.

Anybody here have input on this or any contradictions? If it's true, I'm pretty happy to own a Nikon :)

Sounds like he has a commission on the line...

If the "Nikon System" is "rated" for tracking objects moving up to 150MPH, I would think there would be some sort of documentation on that...

Tell him that if he can provide you with that documentation, you will gladly buy two of them. :lol: "Them" being whatever the most expensive one is. Tell him you will also need two of the most expensive lenses. You know, so you can shoot two handed.

Acquaintance of mine plays with both Nikon and Canon.
On the Canon he has 5d with various lenses and Nikon d300s with various lenses. His thing is that Canon is better for portraits while Nikon is better for action/sports... the guy also has the $ to spend on these toys :)~
Personally, every sport event I've attended I've seen photog with Nikons, Canons, Sigma glass and Tamron Glass: IT IS HOW YOU USE IT ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_focus

You would be panning to shoot anything moving across a scene at 150 mph, so the AF system claim seems spurious.
If what you were shooting was moving perpendicularly towards the camera at 150 mph, and the object had any scale in the image frame, what auto focus could or couldn't do would be moot, since you would be running for your life. ;)

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-E...ogy/ftlzi4pn/1/51-Point-Autofocus-System.html

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Nikon-Camera-Technology/ftlzi4po/1/AF-Area-Modes.html

Last edited:
The bloke is full of ****, he has not got a clue

At least 120mph with a crappy old 10D, seem to piss on his statement

188043005_MKUAy-L.jpg

Last edited:
Different subjects present different focusing challenges. One of the toughest targets I have ever shot is pole vaulters, as they run toward the camera, then plant the pole, then go up in a weird arc, both gaining elevation and coming closer at the same time, and then crossing the bar feet-first, then descending rapidly...the old Nikon D2x and 70-200 or 200/2 VR lens can track pole vaulters from 30 meters, right up to 4 meters, and maintain almost perfect focus on every frame, when firing at either full-size framing at 5 FPS, or in 2.0x crop-mode at 8.3 frames per second. And that is an "old, outdated" focusing system. It uses a wide-area array that covers most of the DX frame, and is actually a VERY complicated system with a 4-mode area selection switch on the back + AF-S and AF-C option + Custom Function settings...they have been dumbing that system down with each successive camera generation, until now in the D800 and D4, it is fully dumbed down.

One-shot focus acquisition is different from continuous-firing, sequential focusing on long action sequences. The way I look at it, new, modern lenses like 70-200/2.8 with hypersonic/ultrasonic motor, 300/2.8 with same motor, 200/2, 400/2.8,135/2, 85mm/1.8 with ultrasonic motor...all those types of lenses from Canon and Nikon focus FAST and they focus reliably.

Some lenses, like the Canon 24-105 f/4 L-IS USM...can't RELIABLY focus on primary school children jogging toward the camera, when the AF system is the one in the Canon 5D...the AF module with THAT specific f/4 lens is nowhere near as good as when a 70-200 f/2.8 is used, or the 135/2 L is used. So, the LENS plays somewhat of a critical role. For example, with slow lenses, the Canon 5D's rather simple AF system will "hunt for focus", and so will the Canon 20D when a slow zoom lens is used indoors. The Nikon D2x on the other hand, has a much better AF system, and even with a "slow" zoom lens indoors, it will lock focus with a high degree of reliability, time after time after time.

As far as system-wide AF claims of 150 and 30 M.P.H., I think that's just some salesman's B.S.. AF systems are complicated these days. User ability and the way the AF system is set up can determine how well it performs.

I'm pretty sure they don't measure a camera's focussing system on the speed a subject is moving. Plus, does he mean 150MPH absolute, or relative to the camera and in which direction?!

haha
If that were true it would come up every time people debate the Canon or Nikon which is better, it doesn't.
A lot of people say a lot of stuff that just isn't true....about a lot of stuff.

Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would be panning to shoot anything moving across a scene at 150 mph, so the AF system claim seems spurious.
If what you were shooting was moving perpendicularly towards the camera at 150 mph, and the object had any scale in the image frame, what auto focus could or couldn't do would be moot, since you would be running for your life. ;)

51 Point AF System | Benefits of the Nikon 51 Point AF System Technology

AF Area Modes from Nikon

Not necessarily running for your life ;)
The topic we were discussing was shooting drifting events. In the case of shooting drifting events you can be in a relatively safe position and shooting with something like the 70-200 I picked up yesterday across the track at the car coming off the 5/8s bank, reaching speeds over 100mph. In which point I think (if you didn't want a panning shot) the ability of the camera to focus on something moving across your field of view would come into play.

Then again I could be wrong.

The bloke is full of ****, he has not got a clue

At least 120mph with a crappy old 10D, seem to piss on his statement

188043005_MKUAy-L.jpg

Like I said above it would be referring to non-panning shots. Unlike the picture you have posted.

Different subjects present different focusing challenges. One of the toughest targets I have ever shot is pole vaulters, as they run toward the camera, then plant the pole, then go up in a weird arc, both gaining elevation and coming closer at the same time, and then crossing the bar feet-first, then descending rapidly...the old Nikon D2x and 70-200 or 200/2 VR lens can track pole vaulters from 30 meters, right up to 4 meters, and maintain almost perfect focus on every frame, when firing at either full-size framing at 5 FPS, or in 2.0x crop-mode at 8.3 frames per second. And that is an "old, outdated" focusing system. It uses a wide-area array that covers most of the DX frame, and is actually a VERY complicated system with a 4-mode area selection switch on the back + AF-S and AF-C option + Custom Function settings...they have been dumbing that system down with each successive camera generation, until now in the D800 and D4, it is fully dumbed down.

One-shot focus acquisition is different from continuous-firing, sequential focusing on long action sequences. The way I look at it, new, modern lenses like 70-200/2.8 with hypersonic/ultrasonic motor, 300/2.8 with same motor, 200/2, 400/2.8,135/2, 85mm/1.8 with ultrasonic motor...all those types of lenses from Canon and Nikon focus FAST and they focus reliably.

Some lenses, like the Canon 24-105 f/4 L-IS USM...can't RELIABLY focus on primary school children jogging toward the camera, when the AF system is the one in the Canon 5D...the AF module with THAT specific f/4 lens is nowhere near as good as when a 70-200 f/2.8 is used, or the 135/2 L is used. So, the LENS plays somewhat of a critical role. For example, with slow lenses, the Canon 5D's rather simple AF system will "hunt for focus", and so will the Canon 20D when a slow zoom lens is used indoors. The Nikon D2x on the other hand, has a much better AF system, and even with a "slow" zoom lens indoors, it will lock focus with a high degree of reliability, time after time after time.

As far as system-wide AF claims of 150 and 30 M.P.H., I think that's just some salesman's B.S.. AF systems are complicated these days. User ability and the way the AF system is set up can determine how well it performs.

Good read, thanks for posting it. I always knew the lens played a little role but wasn't sure if it was that big of a role or not.

My D7000 has captured an object traveling at 1.022 km/s : 2286.15 MPH.

StackEdit.jpg

Take that, Canon!

Hmmph. I capture things moving at 299,792,458m/s every time I press the shutter release - and that's manual focus more often than not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back