Some Knobs and Pipes

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just sitting there and thought to myself.... those knobs look really blue, so I took a picture.

This is the first picture I'm uploading, that was taken using my new Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g lens.

$DSC_0782-2.JPG

What do you think?

Bumpy... Any other feedback? :)

It looks a bit low in contrast, and the pipe appears a slight bit tilted. On these types of "found still life" photos, the small things really matter at segregating the good from the bad. I think this is framed just a bit too-tightly, and as mentioned, the slight tilt of the main pipe across the bottom hurts the formal balance that shots like this so often are built around. A slight bit more depth of field would probably have helped improve the focus and the apparent sharpness/acuity. I like seeing these types of everyday scenes...I will shoot them when I find them if I have a camera with me. There are millions of such photos on Flickr and other sites. I don't want to appear to be dissing your shot, but this kind of a scene needs to be of very high standards to really draw any kind of notice in today's iPhone and Flickr universe.

I'm gonna link to an even simpler subject that has become a sort of cult classic. This is what I mean by applying very high standards to boring, everyday objects.

Pepper No. 30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was very hesitant about clicking this thread...

No mate, sorry. Not blue enough to me. This is blue

$Blue Pipe 0.jpg

Last edited:
Or, if you want more "artistic"... I will call it "Orange No 30 Hidden Behind Blue Pipes" (Following Edward Weston footsteps)

$Blue Pipe 1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks a bit low in contrast, and the pipe appears a slight bit tilted. On these types of "found still life" photos, the small things really matter at segregating the good from the bad. I think this is framed just a bit too-tightly, and as mentioned, the slight tilt of the main pipe across the bottom hurts the formal balance that shots like this so often are built around. A slight bit more depth of field would probably have helped improve the focus and the apparent sharpness/acuity. I like seeing these types of everyday scenes...I will shoot them when I find them if I have a camera with me. There are millions of such photos on Flickr and other sites. I don't want to appear to be dissing your shot, but this kind of a scene needs to be of very high standards to really draw any kind of notice in today's iPhone and Flickr universe.

I'm gonna link to an even simpler subject that has become a sort of cult classic. This is what I mean by applying very high standards to boring, everyday objects.

Pepper No. 30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Derrel, you are a true professional.

Point taken - thanks for the comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back