What's new

Some of my Photos.. what ya think?

Everybody starts at the beginning, and the learning curve is pretty steep. Don't give up, even tho sometimes it seems overwhelming. First thing I would do is look in your manual and see what the different picture settings do. Canon calls them "picture styles", don't know about Sony. Basically, they control saturation, contrast and sharpening. I suggest you use one that's very neutral in the color department.

Secondly, don't be thin skinned when posting for C&C. People are going to give honest opinions. If they sound harsh, remember that the printed word lacks emotion, and chances are they're just being brief. That said, there are people on internet forums who like to be mean, just ignore them.

Third, I can't emphasize enough that you really need to read, and understand as best you can the manual. This will keep responses of RTFM ( Read The F***ing Manual) to a minimum. If you don't understand something in the manual, ask. At least we'll know you are indeed reading the manual.

Your ideas, some of them anyway, aren't bad. I would suggest learning the technical side (exposure, focus, DOF (depth of field)) first, tho. Once you can take a pic that's properly exposed and focused, you can start working on the artistic side.
 
what time of the day did you take 1 and 5? lighting is terrible
 
Ok, well What do any you suggest that I do about all this.
Im just starting out, so I do not know much. Been trying to go to a photography class and learn somethings, but I have a two year old and it is hard to find a sitter.
Just wanting to know if you all think I have great ideas and help me with the not so great looks.
You need to learn how visual imagery and photos in particular, work, and don't work.

Visual images work if they are composed in a way that adds interest.

There are compositional guidelines that have been proven over the last few hundred years that work to make visual images pleasant for a majority of people to look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)

List of photographic composition techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portrait photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Color theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
I have a 9 YO, 6 YO and a 2 YO and my husband is in Afghanistan, but I'm also self taught.

Your photos are out of focus, badly.

What are your settings?

You don't need a class, just keep shooting and playing around, try different things, I would suggest starting with getting your subjects in focus. If these pictures look in focus to you, I might suggest an eye exam and I am not at all trying to be rude.

Also, I would not start out trying to shoot your 2 YO, lol children are fast boogers, start by trying to focus on flowers, or leaves, or entire trees, anything that stands still. I would shoot outside first, for the lighting.

Really, who cares if your first snaps are not great, it is really a learning process, and everyone (well most) of us are as eager to teach as we are to learn.

Good luck!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom