Some Portrait of Clayne- C&C please

chris_arnet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was sitting in Photojournalism today and we were watching the news about the girl that was found in a box at that fishing tournament in South Carolina. I cought This expression on My friend Clayne's face.

ORIGINALS:

1:
Clayne3Original.jpg

2:
Clayne2Original.jpg

3:
Clayne1Original.jpg

CROPPED:

1:
Clayne3.jpg

2:
Clayne2.jpg

3:
Clayne1.jpg

Any C&C appreciated! Thank You!!

THe focus is soft, its underexposed and i think it needs a lil bit less head room. Other then that it seems very dry and i think there could be more emotion in his face. The background is also very distracting.

Your camera is metering off the background/ceiling, which has underexposed your subject. You need to learn to compensate for this. The focus is also slightly soft.

Your camera is metering off the background/ceiling, which has underexposed your subject. You need to learn to compensate for this. The focus is also slightly soft.

Wow the first thing we agree with lol

yeah, it think i know why:

i was shooting with an aperture of 1.8 because lighting inside schools is pretty crappy, and i had the AF on SERVO (for moving subjects), not FOCUS (for still ones).

and i like the expression on his face personally.

Aperture has nothing to do with the exposure being off. Your AF mode will influence focusing though.

As for his face, I think he just looks a bit dumbfounded. I don't believe it came across quite as dramatic as you had intended.

Aperture has nothing to do with the exposure being off. Your AF mode will influence focusing though.

As for his face, I think he just looks a bit dumbfounded. I don't believe it came across quite as dramatic as you had intended.

naw, i knew that. i meant for the softness. why it isnt as sharp.

I'm confused. Aperture, in this case, doesn't have anything to do with the sharpness either.

I'm confused. Aperture, in this case, doesn't have anything to do with the sharpness either.
He thought you are referring to the blurry background, which aperture does play a role.

right, DOF. his face wasnt sharp because i had the focus mode wrong so it wasnt exactly in focus. which is unfortunate, because i really liked the expression on his face, and its doubtful ill ever see it again.

Try going into Photoshop and adding an unsharp mask, it might help

Clayne11.jpg
there is the pic with an unsharp mask what do u think?

sharper, i agree. but theres to much grain in it. i'll just have to hope i see that look again.

The RAW file may be usable. You need to pull out a lot more shadow detail than you have. And I agree that the USM is a little overdone.

its a jpeg. not a raw. i know, i know. ive commited an unforgivable sin. but i dont like dealing with RAW. im not that good with converters anyway. i plan on getting it right the first time. i only shoot raw if its a very important shot. and when i do i still shoot RAW+JPEG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back