Some portraits from this weekend for C&C

Chairman7w

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, had some friends and family over this weekend, and took some portraits. Open for C&C:

3304031635_0e85ed3d29.jpg

3305087030_726d6e2e2b.jpg

3304858778_a9437ca84c.jpg

They don't seem very well lit, and the filter is kinda cheesy. The composition is alright.

The effect is bad, makes them look blurry or oof, and lighting is off.

Thanks guys, and yeah, I agree. :)

When you say the lighting is off... well, that's kinda my main problem, there is no lighting. Well, no real lighting to speak of. And where I'm shooting is all messed up. I've got tungsten, I've got fluoresent, I've got a window there. Oh - AND it was totally gray outside (been raining for two darn weeks!)

None of which is substitute for the fact that I'm not any good yet. That's probably my biggest issue right now. :)

I do have a Canon 580 EXII flash, but don't know how to use it yet. when I do use it, the pics just seem brighter, but still blurry (outside, the pics are much nicer). I'm prepared to get a strobe, and hope to in the next week or two. I'm open to recommendations, for sure.

You don't need a strobe, the 580 will work just fine. Use it off camera with a bounce card or softbox. If you have the money, an umbrella will work great.

Thanks Anubis. When you say use if "off camera" are you referring to one of those stretchy, springy cords? I do have one of those, but it's only about 3' long. I have asked about getting a longer cord at the local camera store and the guy was very discouraging on it. "Oh no - you don't want one of those..." Something about not being TTL.

(as you can see, I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff - all advice is welcomed and appreciated)

When you say use if "off camera" are you referring to one of those stretchy, springy cords? I do have one of those, but it's only about 3' long. I have asked about getting a longer cord at the local camera store and the guy was very discouraging on it. "Oh no - you don't want one of those..." Something about not being TTL.

(as you can see, I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff - all advice is welcomed and appreciated)
Strobist: Lighting 101

Strobist: Lighting 102

Midwest Photo Exchange: Strobist Inventory

Thanks Anubis. When you say use if "off camera" are you referring to one of those stretchy, springy cords? I do have one of those, but it's only about 3' long. I have asked about getting a longer cord at the local camera store and the guy was very discouraging on it. "Oh no - you don't want one of those..." Something about not being TTL.

You don't need TTL, manual works fine. I don't know if you can trigger flashes off camera wirelessly with a Canon body as you can with a Nikon. If not, then PC cords are cheap and effective.

Samanax, Anubis - thanks guys! I have checked out Strobist before, but not in any depth yet. Plan to. Im on the case - I look forward to getting back to you guys with updates!

I don't know if you can trigger flashes off camera wirelessly with a Canon body as you can with a Nikon.
You can, but it's not built into the Canon body...you need the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. It's a wireless IR line-of-sight controller.

Before you talk flash, you should find out why you are underexposing, though you're really not underexposing by that much.

I found this video tutorial to be quite useful if you're new to Canon Speedlites.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Canon-Speedlite-580EX-430EX/dp/B000CQM2LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235498208&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Understanding the Canon Speedlite 580EX / 430EX: Movies & TV[/ame]

In an hour you will pretty much understand how to use your 580EXII both as a single flash or as a Master to other flashes like the 430EX. It's not a substitute for your manual, but it's more effective in showing you how the features work in plain English and using visuals if you find your manual confusing and not very helpful. After watching this video you will understand your manual much better.

I'm usually the one asking for the c&c, so pardon my noobtastic opinion, but... in #1 the composition is distracting because I think you either needed to get in closer on your subjects, or, not. The line of the edge of the mantel right above their heads, and whatever it is that's sitting on it (a basket or something), is distracting. It would be better if it was all brick above their heads, or if you were zoomed out and gave some perspective as to what's behind them.

The pictures look green, try purchasing a flourescent filter (if thats the kind of lights you are using, if not flourescent, get whatever filter need or set the white balance)

Other than the green, all the pictures are very good.

Most reactions

Back