Some Recent Shots From my New City (11 photos)

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haven't really posted lately or been on here much as I've been quite busy trying to sort my life out after moving to the fine city of Melbourne, Australia a couple of months ago. I've managed to get out a couple of times with the camera but not as much as I'd have liked to. anyway here are a few shots from the last few weeks.

Not really expecting to much C&C as I know there are a lot of photos, but I'm open to all comments regardless.

1. Inner city alleyway in the chinatown area

2. Art installation near the art gallery

3. Boat sheds along Brighton Beach. I live in the Brighton area which is awesome going into summer!

4. Sunset across the harbour with a container ship in the distance. I like the bird silhouette in this one.

5. Looking down thee main street of Brighton on a beautiful evening

6. My friend's Allen and Heat Xone 92 DJ mixer. Nice piece of kit, I love jamming with this thing!

7. Bounce, little dog! This dog was hypo and kept us entertained for a good half hour down at St Kilda beach one Sunday afternoon. The pretty girl also helped with the entertainment :drool:

8. Buskers in St Kilda - of course after taking the photo I was obliged to give them all my coins.

9. City block in North Melbourne CBD. I love how this one came out with the ominous sky and the centered block of tall buildings sprouting out of the pavement.

10. My girlfriend on the old route 79 tram, when she came to visit me from NZ. Used a long shutter speed on this one to blur the background through the window. Sadly we are now no longer together :( but at least I'll be enjoying the single life for a while now.

11. My flatmate making some traditional Maori potato bread. I love this shot. I used a speedlite on the camera , bounced off the ceiling for this one.

1. Tilted. Annoying, and an easy fix.
2. Like it.
3. Like it a lot.
4. LOVE IT. There is SO much happening in this photo, yet all of it is subtle. This is a fantastic capture. Slightly tilted, fix that. :)
5. Pole is distracting, rather than interesting as intended (I assume).
6. Like this one a lot. I'd put that up for sale on a stock photography site if I were you.
7. Boring, looks like a snapshot from a family outing at the beach.
8. Would have looked better if you kneeled down. I don't like that you're looking down on everything.
9. Like it. Try adjusting the levels a bit.
10. Meh.
11. Meh.

Last edited:
So thats where you disappeared to fokker, over the ditch.

No.3 made it onto my favourites list on flickr, shot!!!

Im liking 6 as well, nice work.

Enjoyable to look at. I don't like the way that light pole splits #5 though. Good to see you back around.

1. Tilted. Annoying, and an easy fix.
2. Like it.
3. Like it a lot.
4. LOVE IT. There is SO much happening in this photo, yet all of it is subtle. This is a fantastic capture. Slightly tilted, fix that. :)
5. Pole is distracting, rather than interesting as intended (I assume).
6. Like this one a lot. I'd put that up for sale on a stock photography site if I were you.
7. Boring, looks like a snapshot from a family outing at the beach.
8. Would have looked better if you kneeled down. I don't like that you're looking down on everything.
9. Like it. Try adjusting the levels a bit.
10. Meh.
11. Meh.

Thanks for the comments, a few good points that I hadn't thought of like kneeling on #8 would have definitely helped. Re the pole on #5, maybe the photo would have better without it moving the traffic light wasn't really an option :lol:

Thanks Rob and Derrel. And yes I'm just another kiwi in a land full of them now, lol.

number 3 and number 4 are my fav! well done!

Fokker
Your move from a country of 4+million to a city of 4 million has to be somewhat of a culture shock.

Good luck there. I have a highschool friend who moved there 36 years ago. She has decided to move back to the US next year...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back