Some Technical C&C please ( kinda pic heavy)

Stevepwns

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobeastonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to get my quality to a better level. Can I have some opinions please. The sun was unpredictable, some were taken inside. Not an easy day to just set ISO at 100, auto White Balance and blast away.

70-200 @200mm F/4.0
1/500 400 ISO

I see you-7706 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @200mm F/2.8
1/2000 shutter 1000 ISO

Seal-7853 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @ 200mm F/4.0
1/250 shutter 400 ISO
Clyde-7715 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @ 200mm F/4.0
1/640 shutter 400 ISO

National Zoo-7738 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @200mm F/2.8
1/200 shutter 1000 ISO

National Zoo-7905 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @ 200mm F/6.3
1/160 shutter 800 ISO

National Zoo-7589 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @ 120mm F/2.8
1/320 shutter 1000 ISO

National Zoo-7478 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

70-200 @ 200mm
F/2.8 1/500 shutter 400 ISO

_DSC7503-Edit by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr
50mm F1.7
1/500 shutter 1000 ISO

National Zoo-7900 by Jake aka Stevepwns, on Flickr

Last edited:
not sure if you were looking at any specific area of C&C, but just at a quick glance (take some of this with a grain of salt as I'm viewing these on like the worst uncalibrated monitor in the world, so part if it may be due to that)..

1&3 - could probably benefit from a little boost in contrast, they both feel fairly flat #1 especially.

#2 settings seem odd to me, why 1/2000s and ISO1000? the image doesn't look like you're trying to freeze motion with the high shutter speed unless that guy is cruizing around or something. personally I'd have gone with a little slower shutter speed and lower ISO (not that there is really much noticeable noise in the small size, but personally I like to keep the ISO as low as I can, and I just can't see why a 1/2000 shutter is needed in this shot)

the primates in 4 and 6 aren't terrible technically, but really aren't that interesting of a shot, real harsh lighting on the background and dark on the subject in 6, but I'm guessing that was just the sun.

the #5 frog sex picture is one of the stronger ones of the bunch, nice separation between the subject and background, decent colors, although the composition could be improved, maybe just crop it a little different so they're not sitting dead center

I like the burrowing owl in #7, mostly because I love burrowing owls, but its definitely underexposed, you might want to spot meter on the face for a shot like it, or use a little bit of fill flash if possible.

The Ibis in #8 is nice, even though the lighting is harsh, its works okay with it, but it feels like its been a little too over-sharpened. I like the crop too, but you may want to clone out that one green blade of grass at the bottom (its nothing major, but its a slight distraction)

#9 is pretty strong, don't have much feedback on that one other than possibly a little CA that might want to be addressed?? (it may be my terrible hospital monitor I'm viewing it on though)

hope that is helpful and what you were looking for. overall they're pretty good, I enjoyed seeing them.

edit - BTW, its helpful to number the images in the original post, it just makes giving C&C on multiple images much easier.

not sure if you were looking at any specific area of C&C, but just at a quick glance (take some of this with a grain of salt as I'm viewing these on like the worst uncalibrated monitor in the world, so part if it may be due to that)..

1&3 - could probably benefit from a little boost in contrast, they both feel fairly flat #1 especially.

#2 settings seem odd to me, why 1/2000s and ISO1000? the image doesn't look like you're trying to freeze motion with the high shutter speed unless that guy is cruizing around or something. personally I'd have gone with a little slower shutter speed and lower ISO (not that there is really much noticeable noise in the small size, but personally I like to keep the ISO as low as I can, and I just can't see why a 1/2000 shutter is needed in this shot)

the primates in 4 and 6 aren't terrible technically, but really aren't that interesting of a shot, real harsh lighting on the background and dark on the subject in 6, but I'm guessing that was just the sun.

the #5 frog sex picture is one of the stronger ones of the bunch, nice separation between the subject and background, decent colors, although the composition could be improved, maybe just crop it a little different so they're not sitting dead center

I like the burrowing owl in #7, mostly because I love burrowing owls, but its definitely underexposed, you might want to spot meter on the face for a shot like it, or use a little bit of fill flash if possible.

The Ibis in #8 is nice, even though the lighting is harsh, its works okay with it, but it feels like its been a little too over-sharpened. I like the crop too, but you may want to clone out that one green blade of grass at the bottom (its nothing major, but its a slight distraction)

#9 is pretty strong, don't have much feedback on that one other than possibly a little CA that might want to be addressed?? (it may be my terrible hospital monitor I'm viewing it on though)

hope that is helpful and what you were looking for. overall they're pretty good, I enjoyed seeing them.

edit - BTW, its helpful to number the images in the original post, it just makes giving C&C on multiple images much easier.

I appreciate your feedback, thank you, very helpful indeed.

Last edited:
You clearly had some metering problems (gray owl, blown out grass in No. 5). Understand metering and compensation if you're using the built-in meter. Understand creative exposure. Getting good WB is not difficult. Simply set the WB to match the main light, usually sunny or cloudy until you get artificial lighting. Indoors it's often tungsten (light bulb) or fluorescent. Not sure what other quality you want to improve. It's a zoo so you'll have to be creative.

Most reactions

Back