What's new

Someone basing their paintings on a photographer's photos - your thoughts?

I wonder if that Photographer is a lawyer, or a self proclaimed know it all?
I find their logic full of holes a defense lawyer would have a ball with.
 
I wonder if that Photographer is a lawyer, or a self proclaimed know it all?
I find their logic full of holes a defense lawyer would have a ball with.

Is there? I'm definitely not a lawyer. What holes in particular do you find in that description? I'm not trying to start an argument, just seeking further info.
 
Oh boy.

Here my recommendations to read first before agreeing to let someone create derivative artwork based on your image(s):

U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 5
and
U.S. Copyright Office - Definitions (FAQ)

These are the legal regulations on this topic.

Now what you are going to do about it ethically is solely up to you.

You can absolutely go with some of the recommendations above of feeling flattered as another artist believes your art is so great that it has to be copied or you can dare asking the painter necessary questions to find out if there are any commercial interests involved.

Don't come crying once you find the painting on the Apple's iTunes homepage as a background illustration or something.

It's better to be prepared than just go with your gut feeling.

If it's for personal use - go for it (I'd ask for a photo of the final result for your records).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom