SOMEONE STOLE MY PHOTO!!

What makes flickr so special that this should be allowed allowed, and since when is standing up for someone passing of your work as their own a childish game?

It may be a childish game if it was posted unedited and with a link to the original photographer, but amature or profession, hobbyist or mum and dad shooters taking someone elses photos without credit is at best wrong and at worst illegal.

Oh nice JerryPH declared a free for all for ownership of his photos. :D

No this would tick me off no end, even if it's a photo I wasn't paid to take and just did for fun. In reality I'm the bitter bastard who would just spite this poor confused soul who needed to steal to begin with.

"writes note down not to piss of any bitter bastards" :lmao:

I never said it was open season on theft, however we have to keep things in perspective. There is more to life than legally persuing some misguided 13 year old who over the internet "stole" one picture and make that the center of my universe. The fact is that law and morality aside, once you post something on the net, you have to accept the fact that there is very little stopping anyone from doing what they want with anything that they find out there. If you cannot accept that, then either do not put anything out there that you feel has value or at the very least take the time and money to protect yourself, and in this case, that would mean registering your pictures.

As a side note, has anyone noted that the number of pics in our "young thief's" photostream has dropped by several in the last 24 hours?

I think someone scared the crap out of him. ;)

again i am happy i am not on this flickr thing

What makes flickr so special that this should be allowed allowed, and since when is standing up for someone passing of your work as their own a childish game?

It may be a childish game if it was posted unedited and with a link to the original photographer, but amature or profession, hobbyist or mum and dad shooters taking someone elses photos without credit is at best wrong and at worst illegal.

Of course stealing photos is wrong. Actually do not see how people have the heart to do it. Point is if you post your photo on Flickr plan on having it stolen. We are quickly taking the fun out of photography by chasing the grey area of copyright laws.

Love & Bass

"This makes me very furious.. For so long on flickr i have wanted people to post pictures of awards saying good job.. This person got many posted on his photo.. oh wait, its not his.. read this letter i had to send out to all the people who posted on "his" photo."

Ummm Jayjay65, it looks as though you are most angry at some one else getting awards for one of your photos when you didn't get the awards.

Please don't think that I'm belittling the theft of your photo, but I have to ask.. "Why do you think that he got the awards and you didn't?"

If you can use this to better yourself then you will be the true winner!

T
He lives about 20 minutes away from me... want me to go over to his house and call him out? :lmao: :lol:

Finally... did you know that you can add your name into the EXIF info as additional copyright info? Just a thought.

Haha, thanks for the support.. Also, how do I put my name in the EXIF data? cant they just disable it's info from being viewed?

There is more to life than legally persuing some misguided 13 year old who over the internet "stole" one picture and make that the center of my universe. The fact is that law and morality aside, once you post something on the net, you have to accept the fact that there is very little stopping anyone from doing what they want with anything that they find out there. If you cannot accept that, then either do not put anything out there that you feel has value or at the very least take the time and money to protect yourself, and in this case, that would mean registering your pictures.

As a side note, has anyone noted that the number of pics in our "young thief's" photostream has dropped by several in the last 24 hours?

I think someone scared the crap out of him. ;)

Alot of advertisement is done, getting known for amateurs and having an amazing flickr can help more then it seems.. I also threatened him to apologize or i would get flickr officals on him (he did)..

Tough deal for sure. On one hand I guess you righted a wrong? On the other hand I think you are turning a fun photo sharing site into a childish game. I am not positive that he stole it and I am not sure of the value you put on the photo.

Love & Bass

Nearly all I do is look at other's photos, and mine ALOT.. I try to improve as much as I can, because I strive to succeed in photography.. Its more then just a fun photo sharing too..

Thanks for all the support though from you guys, it means alot to me

Haha, thanks for the support.. Also, how do I put my name in the EXIF data? cant they just disable it's info from being viewed?

Some cameras (like the D200) can do it for you in the menuing system. Do a google on EXIF readers, there are a few that will let you modify your file metadata.

again i am happy i am not on this flickr thing

Me too after reading trash like this. There are people who use flickr for stealing photos to use on their websites and none of us would notice.

I would have joined just to leave a comment on the jerks photo saying this photo is stolen, so he looks bad. :thumbup:

Photos disappearing from his collection. Does that mean he's cleaning out other photos that he downloaded to examine. What a dope.

Many cameras you can set the EXIF/ITPC data in the camera, so it's already there. I like having my name on my photos, just in case someone has one and forgets who shot it.

I don't know anything about Olympus E510

You can open and read AND edit Exif data with IrfanView. If you haven't been bored reading my messages touting it, and it's FREE. :D

http://www.irfanview.com don't forget to download the Plugins, because that's where the EXIF data reader and editor are packed.

Open a file in the viewer, hit "I" and the "E" (it's that easy) and you are reading the EXIF data. By the way, editing EXIF data is non-destructive. You can write data and it doesn't open the JPG and re-write it. You don't lose image quality.

Yes someone could take the time to steal a photo and change the name, but some fields are not easy to edit. My Canons also have the serial number of the camera in that data.

I had to laugh when I looked. You are shooting an Olympus E-510 editing on a PC. He's got a Nikon and edits on a MAC. (if I read it right) The guy does have 615 nice photos so I don't know why he would bother stealing one. People do strange things.

About Flickr. I just downloaded two of your photos and three of his, just to look at the camera data. Already erased them. Can someone explain why anyone would want to put their photos up on Flickr so people could steal them or use them for free? I don't get it?

There's no watermark or anything to protect the images?

About Flickr. I just downloaded two of your photos and three of his, just to look at the camera data. Already erased them. Can someone explain why anyone would want to put their photos up on Flickr so people could steal them or use them for free? I don't get it?

There's no watermark or anything to protect the images?

Flicker was designed and flourishes because the great concept of being an easy and fun place to share and look at photos is innocent.

Flicker is a bad place to host "special" photos becuase there is ultimately NO way you can protect your own work from the not so innocent. That includes, sigs, frames, watermarks and EXIF data. All could be digitally removed. If you have a special pic, register it or simply do not post it ANYWHERE on the internet.

Fickr is not a good way to promote yourself as a photographer, it is the wrong place to put your portfolio. Professionals and stock companys do not visit there, but industry "vultures" do steal from there from the ignormant public and often abuse ownership rights.

It is, however, a great way to share pics with friends and family across the world. If used in that context, its the best place out there for that. Like most things in life, too bad we have idiots that ruin it for others.

Flickr is about social networking within the context of photography, not about the display of hand-crafted imagery by creative photographers.

There's nothing wrong with that, just don't confuse the two.

Why didn't you just alert flickr admins to the situation, and have it removed from his stream? I don't see the point of begging everyone to comment on yours. The guy is a jerk for doing it, but it's not surprising any less. I used to be a fan of flickr, but in reality it's a giant circle jerk.

Okay....
If it's a kid, then just shake him really, really hard.

Other than that, what's wrong is wrong. I don't care if someone only stole a 2 for 1 Walmart coupon off of my coffee table. What gives them the right? Of course, I won't hunt them down. But, if they are caught red -handed, it ought to be dealt with.

Am I wrong?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back